This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4889 / 53°29'20"N
Longitude: -2.3201 / 2°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 378859
OS Northings: 399184
OS Grid: SJ788991
Mapcode National: GBR D0D.C9
Mapcode Global: WH989.BKFN
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 18 January 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471551
Location: Salford, M6
Electoral Ward/Division: Weaste and Seedley
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Hope St James
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ79NE ECCLES OLD ROAD
949-1/3/52 (South side)
18/01/80 Church of St James
Church. 1860-61. By W Scott of Liverpool. Coursed sandstone
rubble with plain-tiled roof. Late C13 Gothic style.
7-bay nave with lean-to aisles and lower chancel with side
chapels having parallel ridges and end gables. Entrance to NW
via base of detached 3-stage tower, which has angle buttresses
and broach spire with lucarnes. Paired wide lancets to aisles,
articulated by shafts and with heavy moulding, the bays
defined by buttresses. Deeply moulded doorway to SW.
Clerestory with triple lancets also with deep moulding and
shafts. Chancel chapel to N has lancet window in its E wall,
with trefoil window over; that to south has 2-light Decorated
window over quatrefoil. 5-light Decorated chancel window.
INTERIOR: high nave with arcade to aisles, and arch-braced
roof with iron ties and timber panelling.
Listing NGR: SJ7885999184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings