This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3739 / 50°22'26"N
Longitude: -4.1507 / 4°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 247164
OS Northings: 54883
OS Grid: SX471548
Mapcode National: GBR R8Y.Q6
Mapcode Global: FRA 2861.SXP
Entry Name: Former Nonconformist Chapel
Listing Date: 9 November 1998
Last Amended: 19 April 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473896
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4754 WYNDHAM STREET EAST, Stonehouse
740-1/57/842 (South side)
Former Nonconformist Chapel
Former Nonconformist Chapel. Mid-C19
MATERIALS: Coursed and random rubble stone with stucco detail to front, and render to the side and rear. It has a gabled slate roof.
PLAN: Rectangular plan orientated north ¿ south. The building is of double height with a basement.
EXTERIOR: The symmetrical pedimented entrance (north) front is of three bays with round-arched openings with moulded and keyed arches on moulded imposts. There is a centre break with a window above the central doorway which has Tuscan half-columns, and a moulded and patterned entablature with a dentilled cornice. This doorway, which is approached via a shallow flight of stone steps, is flanked by two tall windows. The west elevation has windows at both ground and gallery level, and window and door openings to the basement. The original hornless sashes survive; all with glazing bars. The east elevation is plain with no openings, while the rear has a double door entrance accessed via a modern metal staircase, and two blocked straight-headed windows.
INTERIOR: Few fittings remain. The galleries and the pews have been removed. A timber staircase leads to the basement which has three rows of cast iron columns that support the floor above. Some additional supports have been introduced in the C20.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: There is a low boundary wall to the front, alongside Wyndham Road, and the former chapel is approached via a flight of five steps. At the north east corner of the building, the front wall continues eastwards slightly and may represent the remains of an adjacent building which was demolished after 1933. Towards the top of this wall is a stone corbel which is supported on a moulded bracket.
HISTORY: The building was formerly known as Wyndham Hall. It is a prominent landmark in a planned mid-C19 neighbourhood of Plymouth which was laid out around Wyndham Square. Wyndham Street (East and West) runs eastwards from the square and links the Grade II listed St Peter¿s Church at one end and the Grade II listed St Mary¿s and St Boniface Roman Catholic Cathedral and the former Nonconformist chapel at the other.
SOURCES: Plymouth City Council, `Local Development Framework ¿ Submission of Millbay and Stonehouse Area Action Plan¿ (2006); Pevsner, N., `Devon, the Buildings of England¿ (1989), p.674
7629 The Buildings of England, Devon (Nikolaus Pevsner and Bridget Cherry), 1989, Page (s) 674
Listing NGR: SX4716454884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings