History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Amberley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pittville, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9056 / 51°54'20"N

Longitude: -2.0723 / 2°4'20"W

OS Eastings: 395119

OS Northings: 223013

OS Grid: SO951230

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.JVW

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1C9H

Entry Name: Amberley House

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474264

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9523SW
630-1/6/268
05/05/72

CLARENCE SQUARE
(North side)
Amberley House
(Formerly Listed as:
CLARENCE SQUARE
(North side)
Amberley)

GV
II

Villa. 1834-5, probably by Robert Stokes, architect. Lot
purchased by John Brend Winterbotham, solicitor, for ยป330 in
1834 and house occupied by him until his death in 1881. Stucco
over brick with concealed roof and tall stucco lateral stacks
with cornices.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement, 3 first-floor window range,
with recessed, 2-lower-storey, single-window service range at
right. Garden (south) facade of 3 first-floor windows. 6/6
sashes throughout ground and first floors, except to east
facade a blind opening to left. Basement has 8/8 sashes. East
facade has central porch with Ionic columns in antis, frieze,
cornice and blocking course, and glazing with margin-lights to
sides. Flight of steps to 4-panel door with side-lights and
overlight with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: inner hall has a part-glazed 4-panel door with
side-lights and overlight with glazing bars; embellished
cornice has egg-and-dart frieze and cornice with acanthus
modillions. Otherwise not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area
undertaken by Joseph Pitt in 1825-42 (the Pittville Estate),
the general layout being designed by the architect John
Forbes. Clarence Square was laid out in the late 1820s,
building began in 1832. The Square was named after the Duke of
Clarence who became William IV in 1830.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 30; Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-:
37,62).

Listing NGR: SO9511923013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.