This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9054 / 51°54'19"N
Longitude: -2.0719 / 2°4'18"W
OS Eastings: 395152
OS Northings: 222983
OS Grid: SO951229
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.K0N
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1CKP
Entry Name: Lisle House and Wellesley Court Hotel
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474268
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW CLARENCE SQUARE
630-1/10/270 (East side)
12/03/55 Lisle House and Wellesley Court
2 houses, now flats and hotel. 1837-8. Stucco over brick with
concealed roof and stucco end and ridge stacks (at left).
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 4 bays (6 first-floor
windows arranged 2:1:1:2), with service range to rear. Centre
2 bays break forward slightly. Stucco detailing includes
horizontal rustication drawn into voussoirs over windows to
ground-floor outer bays; first-floor band surmounted by fluted
Ionic pilasters through ground and first floors, architrave,
frieze and dentil cornice; above these are pilasters with
frieze and cornice, blocking course. Ground floor: outer bays
have 1/1 sashes; centre bays have 1/1 sashes with side-sashes
each in pilastered architrave with frieze and cornice. First
and second floors: outer bays have 6/6 sashes; otherwise 6/6
between 2/2 sashes, those to first floor are taller and in
tooled architraves, all with sills. Basement has tripartite
6/6 between 2/2 sashes to centre and 8/8 sashes. Entrances
(alike) set back to returns, 4-panel, part-glazed door with
overlight in distyle porch with Ionic columns in antis.
Returns have 3 first-floor windows and 3 fluted, full-height
INTERIOR: retains original joinery including shutters to some
windows, otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 2 continuous 2-bay balconies have
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area
undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42, the general layout
being designed by John Forbes. Wellesley Court Hotel was
originally known as Ross House. Clarence Square was laid out
in the late 1820s, building began in 1832. The Square was
named after the Duke of Clarence, who became William IV in
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 62).
Listing NGR: SO9515722988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings