This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5841 / 54°35'2"N
Longitude: -0.9746 / 0°58'28"W
OS Eastings: 466368
OS Northings: 521471
OS Grid: NZ663214
Mapcode National: GBR PHMF.SH
Mapcode Global: WHF88.015L
Plus Code: 9C6XH2MG+J5
Entry Name: Milton Street Methodist Church Hall
Listing Date: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475516
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621SW MILTON STREET, Saltburn
802-1/10/55 (North side)
Milton Street Methodist Church Hall
Includes: Milton Street Methodist Church Hall EMERALD STREET
Methodist Church Hall, originally Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.
1862-5, altered C20 by William Peachey in competition.
MATERIALS: white firebricks from Pease West Brickworks, Crook,
on street fronts; common brick to rear, with ashlar dressings.
Grey-purple slate roof.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: ritual east is at north.
EXTERIOR: continuous nave and chancel of 5 bays. Elevation to
Milton Street has triple gabled shallow porch, with steps up
to renewed doors in centre and glazed side lights, in arcade
with `Derbyshire marble' shafts with large stiff-leaf capitals
supporting moulded stone arches, the central highest, under
stone-coped gables. Inscriptions 'WESLEY 1865 CHAPEL' in gable
peaks. Lancet stair lights at side; triple lancets above
rising into steeply pitched gable, with paired lights in gable
peak. Clasping brick buttresses reduce through stone coping to
octagonal stone spirelets.
Elevation to Emerald Street has shallow vestry porch at left,
with pent roof. 4 lancets in bays defined by buttresses; right
lancet shorter, with square-headed light below. Steeply
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: foundation stone laid by Henry Pease MP for South
Part of the integral design of the Milton Street Methodist
Church (qv). Included for group value.
(Wilson CS: The History of Saltburn: Saltburn by Sea: 1983-:
63; Cleveland County Council Planning Department: Typed cards
with extracts from Illustrated Christian Times; Industrial
Archaeology Review: Spring 1980: Harrison JK and Harrison A:
Listing NGR: NZ6636821471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings