History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Neston, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2963 / 53°17'46"N

Longitude: -3.0832 / 3°4'59"W

OS Eastings: 327903

OS Northings: 378248

OS Grid: SJ279782

Mapcode National: GBR 6ZXB.93

Mapcode Global: WH76M.MD1V

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 5 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387722

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475709

Location: Neston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH64

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Neston

Built-Up Area: Neston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Neston St Mary and St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Parkgate

Listing Text


NESTON

SJ2778 SCHOOL LANE, Parkgate Village
794-1/4/90 (South side)
05/09/95 Church of St Thomas

GV II

Congregational chapel, now parish church. 1843. Coursed
dressed, red sandstone with stone dressings; slate roof with
stone copings and moulded kneelers; square turret-like finial
to east gable.
EXTERIOR: single tall storey; 5-bay continuous nave and
chancel on low weathered plinth, but east and west windows
blocked on north and south elevations. Lancet windows, under
Gothic hoodmoulds, have steeply weathered sills, splayed
reveals and three tiers of cast-iron petaloids under apex
quatrefoils.
Stepped lancets in the west gable-end are blocked as in an
oculus in the gable apex. Gothic headed east door, of plain
oak boards, under hoodmould in slightly projecting porch with
crenellated capping. This is surmounted by a lancet window
with similar proportions and glazing to those in the nave.
The porch is flanked by small narrow flat headed windows with
splayed reveals and heads and steeply weathered sills
containing simple metal casements.
The gallery window is flanked by plain shield projections and
there is a wall-mounted bell to the south. A framed, ledged
and braced chancel door, north is approached up four steps
with a plain metal handrail and is surmounted by a half depth
blocked window. Ogee moulded eaves gutter supported by stone
corbels.
INTERIOR: continuous nave and chancel but with all the
sanctuary windows blocked. Oak altar with front divided into
three panels. Cross and crown of thorns motif to centre under
a pentafoil head and flower, foliage, shell, motifs to sides
under ogee arched heads. Light oak communion rail with reeded
supports in pairs, ogee arched heads to opening and shell
spandrels.
1948 panelled oak memorial pulpit also with the shell motif
and a dentil capping. Oak lesson readers desk with modest
carving. Two benches placed lengthways with panelled front
rail. Oak benches generally. Rear gallery supported by two
octagonal timber columns is fronted by crossed moulds to form
three diamond shapes flanking a centre circle. A pipe organ
occupies the north end of the gallery.
The combined nave/chancel roof is supported by four simple
arched trusses off stone corbels. These have circle and dagger


perforations at wallplate level.
A single 6-panel door, with small centre panels and cusped
trefoil heads to upper panels, leads to the porch which has
similar doors to the gallery steps, vestry and small utility
room.

Listing NGR: SJ2790378248

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.