This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3792 / 53°22'45"N
Longitude: -1.4822 / 1°28'56"W
OS Eastings: 434539
OS Northings: 387051
OS Grid: SK345870
Mapcode National: GBR 9DL.QG
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.6BF8
Plus Code: 9C5W9GH9+M4
Entry Name: Bath Hotel
Listing Date: 29 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475750
Location: City, Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 3487 SE SHEFFIELD VICTORIA STREET
784-1/23/10063 Nos.66-68, Bath Hotel
Public house with dwelling over. Part of a terrace of houses of c.1868, remodelled and extended 1931. Painted tilework and narrow red bricks below, red brick above. Welsh slate roof.
PLAN. Acute-angled corner site. Central servery to two bars and, formerly, off-sales area.
EXTERIOR. 3 storey, 3-bay elevation to Victoria Street and the angle between the two streets, reducing to 2 storeys at rear. 3 glazing bar sash windows below wedge lintels, 6 over 6 panes to each of the 2 upper storeys to Victoria Street, one to each of the 2 upper storeys at the angle. Below white and green tiled but painted. Original leaded windows with some ornamental glass and the words 'Bath Hotel' on the angle. Above this, in raised lettering, 'The Bath Hotel' set within a painted panel. Tall eaves stack to Covent Walk elevation. Toilet block of 1931 along Covent Walk.
INTERIOR. Timber entrance vestibule to bar which retains fixed seating with upholstered seats and tongue-and-grooved backs. Low glazed screen between the 2 main areas of seating. Original bar counter with brown tiled front and leading glazing over. Smoke room with upholstered fixed seating. Hatch to serving area. Original internal doors with ornamental leadwork. Original black and white floor tiling in corridor.
HISTORY: Until the early C20 served as both a grocers and beerhouse and consisted only of the northerly part (i.e. in the angle of the streets). The first recorded use of the name 'Bath Hotel' was in 1908 but the premises were still recorded as a grocers in 1911. In 1920 Ind Coope bought it and in 1931 remodelled the premises and incorporated the house next door. An unusually complete example of a Sheffield corner public house, which retains in almost complete form the plan form and fittings of 1931. Sources: research for Joshua Tetley & Co by C. M. Scargill, displayed in the bar.
Listing NGR: SK3453987051
Other nearby listed buildings