This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8995 / 51°53'58"N
Longitude: -2.0805 / 2°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 394557
OS Northings: 222332
OS Grid: SO945223
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.W9K
Mapcode Global: VH947.WJH6
Plus Code: 9C3VVWX9+RQ
Entry Name: Numbers 89 to 103 and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475823
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/13/813 (West side)
05/05/72 Nos.89-103 (Odd)
and attached are railings
Terrace of 7 houses, now offices and flats, and attached area
railings. Numbered right to left, described left to right.
c1805-1820. Stucco over brick with slate roofs and brick and
stucco party-wall stacks.
PLAN: houses vary: most are double-depth plan with
double-pitch roofs (that to left with further extension to
rear), Nos 91 and 93 have single-pitched roofs and 2-storey
service ranges to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 15 first-floor windows (3 to left then 2
per house). Stucco detailing includes full-height Ionic
pilasters to ends and party-walls; horizontal rustication to
ground floor; first- and second-floor bands; crowning
entablature and blocking course. 6/6 and 2/2 horizontal-pane
sashes to ground and first floors and 3/6 to second floor,
where original; all in plain reveals and with sills.
Entrances: No.101 to centre, otherwise to right, with entrance
to No.103 to left return, 4- and 6-panel doors with sidelights
and overlights, except Nos 87 and 101 have C20 glazed doors.
Left return has 3 first-floor windows and 6/6 sashes. Left
return: further entrance, double part-glazed doors with
overlight with margin-lights in raised surround with cornice.
INTERIOR: some retain dogleg staircases with rod-and-bobbin
balusters and end newels; plasterwork remains including to
left a Greek key frieze to cornice to 2 ground-floor rooms.
Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to left (No.101) are first-floor
individual balconies with scrolled lozenge motif. Arrowhead
HISTORICAL NOTE: building along St George's Place commenced in
1805; originally known as Stills Lane, it was the only road
connecting the High Street with the Royal Well Spa before the
Listing NGR: SO9454522314
Other nearby listed buildings