History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trident House (Number 27A) and Attached Railings to Numbers 15 to 21 and 27

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8989 / 51°53'56"N

Longitude: -2.0801 / 2°4'48"W

OS Eastings: 394587

OS Northings: 222269

OS Grid: SO945222

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.WFN

Mapcode Global: VH947.WJQM

Plus Code: 9C3VVWX9+HX

Entry Name: Trident House (Number 27A) and Attached Railings to Numbers 15 to 21 and 27

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475837

Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



630-1/13/817 (North side)
12/03/55 Nos.13-27 AND 27A (Odd)
Trident House (No.27A), and attached
railings to Nos.15-21 and 27
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Nos.13-27 (Odd)
and Fauconburg Lodge (No.104 St
George's Place))


Terrace of 9 houses. c1837-40. Architect probably Robert
Morris. Stucco over brick with slate roof and brick and stucco
party-wall stacks; wrought-iron balconies and railings.
Double-depth plan with side hallways and 3-storey service
wings to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 27 first-floor windows (3
per house). End houses project slightly and have round-arched
windows on ground floor and square headed on 1st floor, the
opposite way round to rest of terrace with round-arched
windows to first floor with archivolts and impost mouldings.
Stucco detailing includes: horizontal rustication to ground
floor; 3/4 engaged Corinthian columns between each window and
pilasters to end houses, surmounted by projecting dentil
entablature; attic storey has crowning frieze and cornice with
low parapet. Ground and first floors have 6/6 sashes where
original, some with radial glazing to heads; second floor has
3/6 sashes, all in plain reveals and with sills; blind boxes
to several windows (Nos 19, 21, 23 and 27). Entrances: at
right sides and to returns, flights of roll-edged steps to
panelled doors with sidelights and overlights, some with
ornate radial glazing bars.
Returns (alike) have 3 first-floor windows. Central entrances
with flights of roll-edged steps to 4-panel, part-glazed doors
and double doors with decorative overlights, within surrounds
with channelled pilasters and frieze with triglyphs and
metopes, that to right has Doric columns in antis, to first
and second floors the pilasters continue and have sunk panels,
interrupted by continuous cornices over ground, first and
second floors. 6/6 and 3/6 sash to centre, otherwise blind
openings, those to ground floor are round-arched; ground and
first-floor windows in tooled architraves. Rear: retains many
6/6, 8/8 and 3/3 sashes.

INTERIOR: retain original joinery and plasterwork including
dogleg staircases with wreathed handrails and embellished
rods; otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: ground floor has individual balconies.
First floor has continuous balconies. Mainly arrowhead area
railings. Stick balusters to sides of steps with wreathed
handrails. Rear: No.27 has 2 individual balconies with
interlaced circles and embellished rods.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the land for this development was sold in
1837 for ยป50,000 to a joint stock company, the Bayshill Estate
Company, following the death of Revd Richard Skillicorne
(1834). The Bayshill Estate included Bayshill Road (qv) and
Parabola Road (qv). The terrace bears a similarity to a design
carried out in 1825 for Robert Morris by JB Papworth,
differing in the omission of one storey and half-round arches
over the first-floor windows.
Radford observes, 'The ends of the terrace are carefully
detailed which is unusual for Cheltenham terraces'.
Trident House was formerly known as Fauconberg Lodge.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 11; Radford S: The Terraced Houses of Cheltenham
1800-1850: 1992-: 122-131).

Listing NGR: SO9456222283

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.