This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5804 / 53°34'49"N
Longitude: -2.4763 / 2°28'34"W
OS Eastings: 368564
OS Northings: 409415
OS Grid: SD685094
Mapcode National: GBR CW41.P8
Mapcode Global: WH97T.Y80K
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475949
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Heaton and Lostock
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Heaton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
CHORLEY NEW ROAD (North side)
Parish church. 1896. William Knill Freeman, architect. Coursed and squared stone with red sandstone dressings and Westmorland slate roof (replacing original red tiled roof in 1945). Perpendicular style.
PLAN: nave with two lean-to aisles, transepts and chancel.
EXTERIOR: gabled south porch with steep moulded arched doorway, four bays to aisles each with three-light rectilinear traceried windows between buttresses. Two three-light windows to transepts, with oval window over. Similar window to south vestry, with octagonal turret with wood traceried bell-chamber, and octagonal bell-cast roof with lucarnes, at eastern angle. Seven-light Perpendicular east window to chancel.
INTERIOR: six bay arcade with octagonal shafts with ring capitals and double chamfered arches, the arcade continuing uninterrupted by the transepts. Clustered shafts to chancel arch, carried on corbels. Keeled roof, with hammerbeam principal trusses. Traceried openwork wood chancel screen raised on low stone plinth wall, dated 1901. Pulpit with linenfold and open-work traceried panels. Canopied choir stalls probably installed at about the same time. Willis organ of 1903, (rebuilt 1948) in case of similar style. Timber reredos with canopy over altar, and tiered traceried panelling with vine-scroll frieze, extended with simpler detail across entire east end in 1901. Originally intended to have plain glazing, some stained glass installed in aisles and to west end c1920. Font at west end, a large natural shell on alabaster base.
Listing NGR: SD6856409415
Other nearby listed buildings