This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5794 / 53°34'45"N
Longitude: -2.4776 / 2°28'39"W
OS Eastings: 368476
OS Northings: 409309
OS Grid: SD684093
Mapcode National: GBR CW41.DL
Mapcode Global: WH97T.X9C8
Plus Code: 9C5VHGHC+QX
Entry Name: Woodside (Woodside Junior School)
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475950
Location: Heaton and Lostock, Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Heaton and Lostock
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Heaton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
Tagged with: Architectural structure
SD60NE CHORLEY NEW ROAD
797-1/3/57 (South side (off))
26/04/74 Woodside (Woodside Junior School)
(Formerly Listed as:
CHORLEY NEW ROAD
Woodside (now a Special School))
Small mansion, in use as school since 1950. 1877. George
Woodhouse, architect, for the Mellor family, local mill
owners. Random rubble with ashlar dressings and Westmorland
PLAN: asymmetrical plan with entrance and stair hall to north
connecting to spinal corridor linking principal rooms on
garden fronts to south and west, with service rooms to the
north of the corridor. Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and basement. Entrance front
is of asymmetrical composition with entrance towards right in
gabled porch projecting from tower with steep mansard roof
with wrought-iron brattishing, and 2 asymmetrical gables to
the left. Blind return of gable to west garden front to right
of doorway. Steep arch to doorway in coped gabled porch, with
stepped 4-light mullioned and transomed stair window above.
Gable to left with 2-light mullioned and transomed window to
ground floor, and 5-light mullioned window above, the central
light blind with carved panel. Advanced gable to left with
2-light mullioned and transomed windows with stilted heads
divided by a central buttress, and oriel window to first
floor, the mullioned lights ogee headed. Paired arched lights
divided by central shaft and set beneath steep relieving arch
in upper storey. 3 lancet windows beyond to ground floor, and
oriel window with ogee lights canted across the angle with the
eastern return. Axial stack to right of advanced gable.
West garden front has 2 asymmetrical gables divided by a
narrow bay with small arched windows and gablet. Paired arched
lights in left hand gable divided by central buttress; oriel
window to first floor. Continuous string course stepped each
side of oriel. Canted bay to right-hand gable with ogee head
to mullioned lights.
South garden front has expressed stack on return of south-west
gable flanked by single ogee lights, then advanced gabled
range with 4-light mullioned window with ogee headed lights, a
similar 3-light window above, both divided by shafts. Foiled
lancet window at apex. Axial stack to left. Advanced
right-hand range is linked to this gable by a porch with
trefoiled arch to doorway and traceried gabled screen above.
Full height canted bay window to right, with ogee lights to
mullioned windows, and corbelled balconette to ground floor.
Gable to left with paired ogee lights to each floor, and
quatrefoil mullioned windows in apex of gable, which has
enriched bargeboards to overhanging eaves carried on brackets.
Eastern elevation has central tower over back entrance and
stair case, the stair expressed with tiered mullioned and
transomed window beneath steep relieving arch, and the tower,
with corbel table and gargoyles, surmounted by wrought-iron
brattishing. Complex expressed stack, buttressed and corbelled
out, to left of tower.
INTERIOR: the original layout, and much original detailing
survives, including both staircases, ornate trefoiled
balustrade to main staircase which is top lit with painted
glass to lantern. Stained glass in stair window, with armorial
emblems and monogrammes of Mellor family. Joinery throughout
is original, including the richly panelled dining room walls
and ceiling, and the pierced panelled ceiling in the basement
(Bolton Journal, 7 June 1884, Pictorial Bolton Series, XXI:
Listing NGR: SD6847609309
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings