History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willoughby (Number 1) and Attached Area Railings to Numbers 2 to 12

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8934 / 51°53'36"N

Longitude: -2.0811 / 2°4'52"W

OS Eastings: 394512

OS Northings: 221657

OS Grid: SO945216

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8N2

Mapcode Global: VH947.WN4V

Entry Name: Willoughby (Number 1) and Attached Area Railings to Numbers 2 to 12

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387971

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475967

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9421NW SUFFOLK SQUARE
630-1/17/868 (North side)
12/03/55 Nos.1-12 (Consecutive)
Willoughby (No.1), and attached area
railings to Nos.2-12

GV II*

Terrace of 12 houses and attached railings, now hotel (to
left) and flats. 1832-48 with later additions and alterations.
Probably more by Edward Jenkins than by JB Papworth to whom it
is normally attributed. Ashlar over brick with slate mansard
roof, tall brick party-wall stacks and iron balconies,
verandahs and railings.
PLAN: symmetrical terrace terminated each end by a large house
with Classical details; full- and almost full-height service
ranges to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basements and with attics, 3
first-floor windows each. Ashlar detailing: end houses
articulated by 2 outer Corinthian pillars and 4 fluted
Corinthian columns in antis to ends and between windows) and
anta caps carved to match through ground and first floors,
with pediment; continuous entablature over first floor; to
second floor are pilasters to end ranges with continuous
crowning entablature and blocking course; inner range has
horizontal rustication to ground floor. 6/6 sashes where
original (taller to first floor) in plain reveals and with
sills; attics have dormers with 3/3 sashes. Basement has 6/6
sashes. Entrances: end houses have entrance to returns,
otherwise to left and right: 2 roll-edged steps to
8-fielded-panel double doors with overlights with
margin-lights (where original). Returns: 5-window ranges with
further additions. That to left (Willoughby) has end
breakforwards articulated through 2 floors with Corinthian
pilasters and continuous entablature; mainly 6/6 sashes, that
to centre of first floor an 8/8 sash with entablature and
cornice on consoles, second floor has 2/2 horizontal-pane
sashes, all in plain reveals and with sills; blind boxes
remain to ground- and first-floor windows at right end.
Central entrance in porch with 2 pairs of Ionic columns and
entablature, 8-panel door between sidelights and with
overlight. Right return plainer, 6/6 sashes, one 8/8 sash;
central solid porch with paired Ionic pilasters and
entablature, round-arched opening with 8-panel door with
sidelights within. Rear retains 6/6 and 8/8 sashes, some 6/6
between 2/2 sashes.


INTERIOR: Willoughby (No.1) at left has inner door with
decorative glazing and overlight with circle and inverted
teardrop glazing bars. Open-well staircase has brass
balustrade and over-rail, mahogany handrail; domed skylight to
hallway; to ground floor at front cornice with grape frieze;
marble fireplaces; original joinery including panelled
shutters to most windows. Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: end houses have first-floor individual
balconies with web design. Otherwise first-floor verandahs to
each house with Carron Company double-heart-and-anthemion
motif balustrade and lyre and scroll to uprights, tent roofs.
Area lancet railings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the terrace was designed to have attached
Corinthian columns at centre as well as at ends, but when
built the end bays were given pediments and the central
columns omitted.
Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the Earl of Suffolk
from the de la Bere's and on which he had built Suffolk House
for his own residence, his daughter later sold much of the
land. In 1823 developer James Fisher acquired land for his
Suffolk Estate. Shown as partly built on Merrett's Map of
1834.
All the listed buildings in Suffolk Square form a very
distinguished group.
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 35).

Listing NGR: SO9447621684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.