This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8922 / 51°53'31"N
Longitude: -2.0819 / 2°4'54"W
OS Eastings: 394462
OS Northings: 221519
OS Grid: SO944215
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8H0
Mapcode Global: VH947.VPRT
Plus Code: 9C3VVWR9+V7
Entry Name: Montpellier House (East Part)
Listing Date: 1 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475984
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NW SUFFOLK SQUARE
630-1/17/879 (South side)
01/03/55 Montpellier House (east part)
(Formerly Listed as:
Also known as: Suffolk Mews SUFFOLK SQUARE.
House, now flats. 1832, with later additions and alterations.
Architect, Edward Jenkins. Ashlar over brick with concealed
roof. Double depth plan with central hallway and range at
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows arranged 1:2:1:2:1;
with 2-storey-on-basement, 7-first-floor window range to
right. Main range: end and centre breakforwards. Ashlar
detailing includes pilasters with egg-and-dart caps to end
breakforwards; tooled architraves to widows, those to ends at
ground floor have pediments on console brackets, otherwise
ground floor windows have frieze and cornice; first floor
widows have eared architraves, those to centre and outer bays
have frieze and cornice, that to centre on console brackets.
6/6 sashes, that to centre, first floor a 6/6 between 2/2
sash, in plain reveals and with sills. Basement has 6/6
sashes. Central entrance has flight of roll-edged steps to
pedimented Doric portico with 2 pairs of fluted columns and
entablature with triglyphs and metopes. Within a 6-panel
double, part-glazed doors between sidelights and overlight
with margin-lights. Range to right has end Doric pilasters
through 2 floors and to next two windows, crowning
entablature; pilaster strips to second floor, crowning frieze
and cornice with blocking course. All windows in tooled
surrounds, that to first floor at centre has cornice on
consoles, otherwise eared architraves to first floor. Central
window is tripartite, with 6/6 between 2/2 sashes to first
floor and 3/3 between 1/1 sashes to ground floor; otherwise
6/6 sashes. Rear has 4 tripartite windows with 6/6 between 2/2
sashes. Left return has 3 first-floor windows: either blind
openings or replacement 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: retains original joinery including panelled shutters
to windows; open-well staircase with lozenge and oval iron
balustrade and wreathed handrail; otherwise not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the
Earl of Suffolk from the de la Bere's, on which he built
Suffolk House for his own residence, his daughter later sold
much of the land, on which Suffolk Square now stands to
developer James Fisher. The Square is shown as planned but not
complete on the Post Office Map of 1820.
Abuts Montpellier House (west part) to right.
Part of a very distinguished group of buildings in Suffolk
(Blake S: Notes).
Listing NGR: SO9446021495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings