History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arundel Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.885 / 51°53'5"N

Longitude: -2.0885 / 2°5'18"W

OS Eastings: 394005

OS Northings: 220717

OS Grid: SO940207

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.SXF

Mapcode Global: VH947.RW8B

Entry Name: Arundel Lodge

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476021

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9320NE THE PARK
630-1/25/912 (South side)
12/03/55 No.37
Arundel Lodge

GV II

Formerly known as: Stone Garth THE PARK.
Villa. c1830-50. Ashlar over brick with hipped slate roof,
tall brick ridge and right end stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows with service ranges
to rear. Ashlar detailing includes ground-floor horizontal
rustication drawn into voussoirs over segmental-arched
windows; first-floor windows have tooled architraves. 1/1
lugged sashes throughout. Flight of 5 roll-edged steps to
central entrance a part-glazed 4-panel door with sidelights
and cambered overlight within porch with 2 pairs of fluted
Doric pilasters, architrave, frieze with triglyphs and
metopes, pediment with guttae. Ground floor has tripartite
windows, 2/2 sashes where original. First floor has 6/6 sashes
where original. Frieze. Wide eaves. East elevation (left
return) has one-storey bow with pilasters. Rear retains 8/8
sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became
a zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park (1809-11) London.
A similar Papworth-derived design to Greenfields, No.35 The
Park (qv) and Oakley, No.55 The Park (qv).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92).


Listing NGR: SO9400820711

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.