History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Mill (Formerly Known As Old Mill Building)

A Grade II Listed Building in Astley Bridge, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6137 / 53°36'49"N

Longitude: -2.4266 / 2°25'35"W

OS Eastings: 371872

OS Northings: 413097

OS Grid: SD718130

Mapcode National: GBR CVHN.FB

Mapcode Global: WH97N.PFNJ

Entry Name: Bridge Mill (Formerly Known As Old Mill Building)

Listing Date: 26 April 1974

Last Amended: 19 March 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476029

Location: Bolton, BL7

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Bridge

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Astley Bridge St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text

SD 71 SW,
797-1/2/83

BOLTON,
THREADFOLD WAY, Eagley (North side),
'Bridge Mill'

(formerly known as Old Mill Building)

26/04/74

GV

II

Probably originally a cotton mill, latterly used as canteen
for Eagley Mills complex, and as leather goods
works. Reported residential 07/2017. Largely late C18 with extensions dated 1926. Original
section is coursed and squared watershot stone work, with
hipped slate roof. Additions are brick with rock-faced stone
bands.

EXTERIOR: original building is 2 storey to south, 3 storey to
north, and 9x2 bays. Wide sash windows with small panes and
flat heads. Cast-iron external staircase attached to 3rd bay.
Single storey gabled projection against west wall at one time
a boiler house. No other traces of power system, and original
use unclear. Extension is also 2-3 storey, 3 bays, with
entrance and staircase giving access to working floors.
Central pediment to parapet over entrance.

INTERIOR: original construction appears to be unsupported
lateral timber beams, replaced or strengthened on lower
storeys by steel joists carried on cast-iron columns.

HISTORY: documentary evidence suggests that there was a mill
on the Eagley Mills site by 1816. In 1820, James and Robert
Chadwick established a tape-weaving business on the site, also
making sewing cotton, cards and laces. The original building
would by then have been a small component in a much larger
industrial site, reflected in its more recent use as a
canteen.


Listing NGR: SD7187213097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.