This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6147 / 53°36'52"N
Longitude: -2.427 / 2°25'37"W
OS Eastings: 371850
OS Northings: 413214
OS Grid: SD718132
Mapcode National: GBR CVHM.CY
Mapcode Global: WH97N.PDHQ
Entry Name: Former Eagley Bridge School
Listing Date: 20 June 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476258
Location: Bolton, BL7
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Cross
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Walmsley Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD71SW THREADFOLD WAY, Eagley
797-1/2/250 (North West side)
20/06/97 "The School House" (Former
Eagley Bridge School)
School. 1851, extended 1872, with further C20 alterations and
additions. By Whittaker and Woodhouse, architects of Bolton,
for Messrs Chadwick Bros of Eagley Mills. Coursed squared
Darwen sandstone with ashlar dressings, coped gables and a
Welsh slated roof. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: original building of linear plan form, with 1972
extensions comprised of advanced wings with a linking
EXTERIOR: front elevation has advanced steeply pitched gables
to right and left, with recessed crosswing, and gabled porches
to each angle between crosswing and gables. Tall, stepped
3-light mullioned windows beneath hoodmoulds to gables.
Crosswing with two 2-light windows. Gables to 1851 building
with wide 5-light mullion and transom windows within pointed
INTERIOR: altered in C20, but designed with arch-braced tie
and collar beam trusses rising from corbels below wall plate
level, and with braced queen posts. The central parts of the
tie beams are of circular section, and the resultant effect is
reminiscent of hammer beam construction.
HISTORY: the school was built to replace an earlier cottage
school of 1791, amd its development and expansion mirrored
that of the nearby Eagley Mills spinning and finishing complex
which provided employment for the Eagley Bridge community.
Eagley Bridge School is a now rare example of educational
patronage and provision by a cotton manufacturing company
which remained in use into the late C20.
Listing NGR: SD7185013214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings