History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brook Mill (Former No. 3 Twist Mill)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromley Cross, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6141 / 53°36'50"N

Longitude: -2.4266 / 2°25'35"W

OS Eastings: 371872

OS Northings: 413148

OS Grid: SD718131

Mapcode National: GBR CVHN.F5

Mapcode Global: WH97N.PFN6

Entry Name: Brook Mill (Former No. 3 Twist Mill)

Listing Date: 25 July 1996

Last Amended: 19 March 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476077

Location: Bolton, BL7

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Cross

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Astley Bridge St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD71SW THREADFOLD WAY, Eagley
797-1/2/249 "Brook Mill" (Former
25/07/96 No.3 Twist Mill)

GV II

Cotton twist mill originally forming part of a large cotton
works, and now in multiple industrial use. Dated 1887. Brick
with rusticated stone basement end bands. Multi-ridge slate
roof. Cast-iron, steel and concrete internal structure.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys, 14x6 bays. Stair tower recessed in centre
of return wall, with off-set gabled porch and pedimented
terracotta parapet to tower, with clock. Flat heads to windows
of lower storeys, segmentally arched above, all recessed
between pilasters. Cornice over 3rd storey. Loading bay to
left in long north elevation, dated 1887. Engine house
projects from NW angle (apparently 2 engine houses forming an
L-shaped projection), and the boiler house adjoins this to the
west.
HISTORY: built as a twist mill in 1871 but rebult in 1887.
Used mainly for finishing and winding until 1903, and then
carrying out twisting and winding, transferred from the 1881
mill. Beyond the mill to the west, a 2-storeyed brick building
may have been a warehouse or workshop originally. The mill is
part of an important textile-working site established by the
Chadwicks after 1820 on a previously developed site, which
included at its height 5 mills and a bleaching and dyeing
works, together with an associated planned community. The
mills were devoted to smallwear weaving, sewing-cotton
manufacture, twist bleaching and dyeing. The twist mill
employs a distinctive architectural vocabulary and forms part
of a strong visual grouping of mills on this prominent valley
location.


Listing NGR: SD7187213148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.