History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Valley Mill (Former Spinning Mill No 2)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromley Cross, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6145 / 53°36'52"N

Longitude: -2.4282 / 2°25'41"W

OS Eastings: 371766

OS Northings: 413192

OS Grid: SD717131

Mapcode National: GBR CVHN.21

Mapcode Global: WH97N.NDWW

Entry Name: Valley Mill (Former Spinning Mill No 2)

Listing Date: 25 July 1996

Last Amended: 19 March 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388078

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476076

Location: Bolton, BL7

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Cross

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Walmsley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD71SW COTTONFIELDS, Eagley
797-1/2/248 'Valley Mill (Former
Spinning Mill No.2)
25/07/96

GV II

Cotton mill, formerly part of a large cotton works and built
as a twist mill but converted to ring spinning mill in 1903;
still in commercial use. Dated 1881. Brick with cast-iron and
brick internal structure, and flat concrete roof.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 16x4 bays, with arcaded round-arched
windows to pilasters. Major internal structural division
separates 3 eastern bays, which also contain loading bay and
central recessed stair bay; possibly this section was formerly
the scutching and blowing area. Central entrance to stairs
which have wide windows, ornamented with terracotta work and
with decorative glazing. Bell cupola over NE angle. Originally
steam powered, with altered engine house and boiler house to
west of the mill, and chimney beyond, retaining its corbelled
cap.
HISTORY: the mill forms part of an important textile-working
site developed by the Chadwicks after 1820 on a previously
developed site, and comprising at its height, 5 mills and a
bleach and dye works, together with an associated planned
community. The mills were devoted to smallwear weaving,
sewing-cotton manufacture, twist bleaching and dyeing.


Listing NGR: SD7176613192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.