History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance to Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education)

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8883 / 51°53'17"N

Longitude: -2.0893 / 2°5'21"W

OS Eastings: 393951

OS Northings: 221089

OS Grid: SO939210

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.DMP

Mapcode Global: VH947.QSVS

Plus Code: 9C3VVWQ6+87

Entry Name: Entrance to Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education)

Listing Date: 14 December 1983

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476117

Location: Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


630-1/21/929 (South side)
14/12/83 Entrance to Fullwood (Cheltenham and
Gloucester College of Higher
(Formerly Listed as:
Quadrant walls, railings, gatepiers
to Fullwood entrance of the College


Quadrant walls, railings, gates and gate piers. c1890-1900,
with later additions and alterations. Probably for Mrs
Macknight Crawford of Lauriston Castle. Dwarf walls with heavy
iron railings. Central gatepiers joined by C20 gates (not
included) quadrant walls surmounted by railings to outer
piers, then further stretch of wall for approx 5m with
railings to right return and end right pier. Panelled ashlar
gate piers with modillion capping; cappings contain copper
monograms. Low walls have chamfered copings; railings have
heavy spearhead caps and frieze with circle motif, bars in 2
HISTORICAL NOTE: this marks the site of the entrance to the
'Gloucestershire Zoological, Botanical and Horticultural
Gardens' which originally occupied the centre of The Park. The
Park was laid out by 1833 by its owner, Thomas Billings, as an
oval tree-lined drive with a central park which, for a short
period in the mid-C19 became a zoological garden. In 1839 the
development was bought by Samuel Daukes who continued the
building. The Park is one of the developments influenced by
White's and Nash's scheme for Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
The monograms on the gatepiers probably relate to the
occupation of the adjacent house (Fullwood qv) by a Carmelite
order of nuns c1920. The Estate passed to St Mary's Training
College in 1931 and is now part of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of Higher Education.
Forms an integral part of a significant streetscape group of
piers in The Park.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271;
Sampson A: Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of HE).

Listing NGR: SO9395121089

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.