This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8876 / 51°53'15"N
Longitude: -2.0887 / 2°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 393991
OS Northings: 221004
OS Grid: SO939210
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.LR7
Mapcode Global: VH947.RT4C
Plus Code: 9C3VVWQ6+2G
Entry Name: Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College) and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 7 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476109
Location: Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9321SE THE PARK
630-1/21/927 (South side (off))
07/03/97 Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester
College) and attached area railings
Villa, now part of Cheltenham College of Higher Education, and
attached area railings. 1847 with later additions and
alterations including verandah to garden facade c1890s for Mrs
MacKnight Crawford of Lauriston Castle; mid-C20 range to east.
Stucco over brick with flattened hipped slate roof and 3
stuccoed stacks with cornices, timber verandah and iron area
railings. Double-depth plan with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attics, 5 first-floor
windows. Stucco detailing includes quoins to angles, moulded
first-floor band, crowning moulded cornice surmounted by
moulded brackets and wide eaves; tooled architraves to
windows, those to ground floor have cornices on console
brackets, those to first floor have sills on feet. 2/2
horizontal-pane, and 1/1 horned sashes, all in plain reveal
and with sills, the central first-floor window is divided and
between 2 smaller windows. All windows in plain reveals and
with sills. 3 attic dormers, the outer ones break eaves line,
2/2 horizontal-pane sashes and pedimented gables on corbel
brackets. Concealed basement. Central entrance, flight of
roll-edged steps to solid projecting porch with Doric
pilasters and dentil entablature with blocking course; early
C20 studded double doors with fanlight with glazing bars in
surround with moulded head and Doric pilasters. Garden facade:
2 storeys with attics, 5 first-floor windows. Stucco detailing
includes quoins to angles, crowning moulded cornice surmounted
by brackets supporting wide eaves. Windows have tooled
architraves. 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes where original, those
to first floor have blind boxes; all in plain reveals, those
to first floor have sills. 3 attic roof dormers with 1/1
sashes and pedimented gables on brackets. Ground-floor
verandah has flight of steps to central entrance, double
part-glazed doors with overlight and gable with decorative
barge boards. Otherwise latticed lower stage and plate-glass
with shaped mullions and continuous overlight.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original plasterwork and joinery.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings to front facade have
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner, Thomas Billings, as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became
a zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
architect Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's
schemes for Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
Fullwood was the main house in The Park. By 1823 it was an
Ursuline Ladies College; in 1931 the estate passed to St
Mary's College. The Boathouse (qv) was built as part of its
Forms a good group with Entrance to Fullwood (qv) and
Boathouse (qv), The Park. The modern block to the north-east
is not of special architectural or historic interest.
(Sampson A: Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of HE: Cheltenham: 1991-).
Listing NGR: SO9398620997
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings