History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mere Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Halliwell, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5873 / 53°35'14"N

Longitude: -2.4385 / 2°26'18"W

OS Eastings: 371070

OS Northings: 410165

OS Grid: SD710101

Mapcode National: GBR CVDY.WS

Mapcode Global: WH97V.J318

Entry Name: Mere Hall

Listing Date: 26 April 1974

Last Amended: 30 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476127

Location: Bolton, BL1

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Halliwell

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: West Bolton

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD71SW MEREHALL STREET
797-1/2/154 (North East side)
26/04/74 Mere Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
MEREHALL STREET
Merehall Museum)

II

Mansion, once a museum later nursery school. 1837, built for
Benjamin Dobson, an engineer, and converted to museum in 1890.
Brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Entrance front a 3-window range, with
coupled Doric columns to portico porch, and side lights to
doorway. 20-pane floor length sash windows each side of
doorway, the upper windows blind.
Lower wing probably a later addition to the left, with 2
tripartite sash windows to first floor in return, and single
12-pane sash window below.
Parallel rear range also a 3-window range, with blind upper
windows and sashes below. 2-window range similarly detailed
slightly recessed to the right, linked to separate wing to
right, which has tripartite sash window on each floor; this
wing possibly extended to rear to provide service
accommodation, late C19.
Garden front a 5-window range with central full-height bow
window with floor length sashes. Upper windows blind.
Full-height angle pilasters and stone string courses to each
principal elevation.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the house was left to the town of Bolton in 1890 by
its then owner, JP Thomasson, and adapted for use as a museum
by the town; its present form, including the blocking of the
upper windows, is owing to that use.
(Bolton and District Civic Trust: Buildings of Bolton: Bolton:
1983-).

Listing NGR: SD7107010165

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.