This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9011 / 51°54'4"N
Longitude: -2.0774 / 2°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 394770
OS Northings: 222511
OS Grid: SO947225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.PMQ
Mapcode Global: VH947.YG3Y
Plus Code: 9C3VWW2F+C2
Entry Name: 7, Well Walk
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476177
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE WELL WALK
630-1/9/981 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.5, 6 AND 7)
House, now shop. c1776-1799 with later additions and
alterations, including late C20 ground-floor shop front.
Brick, now whitewashed, with concealed roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 1 first-floor window. First floor has
elliptical bay with 6/6 between 4/4 sashes. Second floor has
casements in plain reveals and with sill with flat arch of
rubbed brick. Shop front: multi-paned window and double, steps
to multi-paned doors off-centre left.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Well Walk (or Old Well Walk as it was known
in the C19) was laid out by Andrews (the town surveyor) in
1743 to designs supplied by Norborne Berkeley as a long avenue
of elms extending for over 900 yards past Henry Skillicorne's
original Pump Room and Well to the lower part of what is now
Bayshill Road. As such, this Walk with its C18 houses, is an
important survival of the C18 spa town development and frames
one of the entrance ways to the Parish Church of St Mary,
Church Street (qv).
(Little B: Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 34).
Listing NGR: SO9476922511
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings