History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 and 5, New Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1911 / 52°11'28"N

Longitude: -2.2185 / 2°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 385162

OS Northings: 254787

OS Grid: SO851547

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.PXM

Mapcode Global: VH92T.H6K3

Plus Code: 9C4V5QRJ+FJ

Entry Name: 4 and 5, New Street

Listing Date: 5 April 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488960

Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin's in the Cornmarket with St Swithun and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Worcester

Description

SO8554NW
620-1/17/447
05/04/71

WORCESTER
NEW STREET (East side)
Nos.4 and 5


GII
House,now two shops.Numbered right to left,described left to right.Mid C18 with later additions and alterations including shop fronts mid C19.Stucco over brick with ashlar bands and doorcase and concealed roof.EXTERIOR:Two storeys,five first floor windows with single storey entrance bay at right.First floor has continuous sill band and six/six flush sashes with continuous cavetto-moulded band over.Ground floor:to left shop front has outer pilasters then acanthus console brackets with cornice and acroteria,panelled plinth,three-pane window with chamfered mullions canted in to entrance at right a part-glazed door with lower panel and blocked overlight;then a central entrance a renewed door with fanlight between pilasters with fronds to caps and oval over,cornice.Then a shop front with pilasters, fascia and cornice with renewed glazing,entrance at right a part-glazed door.Further part-glazed renewed door with overlight within panelled pilasters to entrance bay,with low coped parapet.Crowning coped parapet.INTERIOR:No.4 has axial beam and moulded cornice which continues over beam.First floor said to retain plasterwork and joinery.HISTORICAL NOTE:New Street had changed its name from the medieval Glover Street by 1523.Hughes:'New Street,in its C16 and C17 phase,was a street of dwelling-houses with workshops behind.'(Hughes P:Buildings and the Building Trade in Worcester 1540-1650:PhD thesis:1990:200).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.