History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, 7 and 7A (Nash House), New Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1912 / 52°11'28"N

Longitude: -2.2186 / 2°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 385152

OS Northings: 254800

OS Grid: SO851548

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.PWG

Mapcode Global: VH92T.H6G1

Plus Code: 9C4V5QRJ+FH

Entry Name: 6, 7 and 7A (Nash House), New Street

Listing Date: 22 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488961

Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin's in the Cornmarket with St Swithun and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



620-1/17/448 (East side)
22/05/54 Nos.6, 7 AND 7A
Nash House (No.7 and 7A)


House. 1605 for the Nash family with later additions and
alterations including those c1674 and C20 restorations. Timber
frame with plain tile roof; 3 diamond brick stacks to rear.
Close studded with jetties to each storey; panels of square
framing to rear.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 3 bays with 3 gables to street. Ground
floor has renewed doors at right and left, a board and a glazed
door; 4 chamfered posts with renewed jowels and 5
column-cluster stanchions. Bressumer beams with double-ovolo
moulding (renewed in parts). Each jetty on corbel brackets.
Mainly renewed casement windows but retaining 4 small 2-light
windows to first and second floors with ovolo-moulded mullions.
INTERIOR: chamfered spine beams ogee stops to ground floor,
arch braces to ground floor. Upper stages retain square panels
of timber framing. Roof has butted and trenched purlins with
splayed scarf joints, slightly joggled and bridled.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was in the process of being built
when Richard Nash died in 1605. He left it to his son, John
Nash (later alderman and noted Worcester benefactor), he lived
at Nos 5 and 6 (qv) but left Nash House to his to his kinsman,
Richard Nash of Droitwich. Richard moved into the house in 1674
and made alterations, adding 2 new chimneys and coach access.
He also probably gave the house its name. John Hughes,
Alderman, purchased the house in 1689.
Nash House and Greyfriars (qv) both have a frieze of scrollwork
dragons and sheaf-like motif.
(Molyneux N, Hughes P, Price P: Vernacular Architecture Group
Spring Conference Programme: 1995-: 2.8; Hughes P: Buildings
and the Building Trade in Worcester 1540-1650: PhD thesis:
1990-: 164, 184, 440).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.