This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1913 / 52°11'28"N
Longitude: -2.2184 / 2°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 385164
OS Northings: 254808
OS Grid: SO851548
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.PXK
Mapcode Global: VH92T.H5KZ
Plus Code: 9C4V5QRJ+GJ
Entry Name: No 9 and Oddfellows Hall
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Last Amended: 12 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488962
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin's in the Cornmarket with St Swithun and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8554NW NEW STREET
620-1/17/449 (East side)
and Oddfellows Hall
Formerly Listed as:
House now 2 shops and flat over, with range to rear of 2
houses, now club. Probably c1730-60 with later additions and
alterations including link range and C19 shop front to left.
Reddish-brown brick in Flemish bond with flat arches of red
gauged brick, ashlar cornices and sills; double-pitch plain
tile roof to front range with end brick stacks with cornices,
slate roof to rear range, hipped at rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows with range to rear
of 2 storeys, 3:2:3 first-floor windows. First floor has 6/6
flush sashes with flat arches. 3-course band over. Crowning
frieze and modillion cornice. Ground floor: central entrance a
6-fielded-panel door in deep panelled reveals and with eared
timber architrave, pulvinated frieze and pediment. Remains of
C19 shop front includes pilaster strips to ends and fascia;
renewed plate-glass windows to left and right, at right a
part-glazed door with lower panels, at left a board door. Rear
range in 2 stages of build: 2 left bays are blind with flat
arches; first-floor has 6/6 round-arched staircase sash with
Gothic glazing bars to head; then inserted casement window, 8/8
sash and three 6/6 sashes. Ground floor has 2 blind openings,
then entrance a 6-panel door in panelled reveals with fanlight
with Gothick glazing bars, doorcase has open pediment on corbel
brackets; 6/6 sash then entrance a 6-panel door with 4
raised-and-fielded panels, upper 2 panels now glazed; then wide
casement window and two 6/6 sashes; right end entrance a
4-panel door with overlight and sidelights. Windows mainly with
cambered arches, those at left are in plain reveals, those at
right are flush; sills. At left a crowning ashlar cornice;
modillion eaves cornice to entre. Left stacks.
Garden (rear) facade: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Mainly
6/6 sashes with flat arches of rubbed brick and keystones in
plain reveals and with sills.
INTERIOR: rear range altered probably c1800 and later but
retaining original plasterwork and joinery including dogleg
staircase to entrance hall with wreathed handrail, stick
balusters and carved tread ends; further dogleg staircase to
rear of main range has turned balusters; double doors in
panelled reveals lead from entrance hall to front reception
room (originally 2 rooms) with modillion cornice; panelled
shutter boxes to windows. First floor retains 6-panel doors.
Attic has exposed trenched purlins, principal rafters and
collar beam. 2 cast-iron fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the rear range has been an Oddfellows Hall
since 1923. New Street changed its name from the medieval
Glover Street by 1523. Hughes: 'New Street, in its C16 and C17
phase, was a street of dwelling-houses with workshops behind.'
(Hughes P: Buildings and the Building Trade in Worcester
1540-1650: PhD thesis: 1990-: 200).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings