History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

49 and 50, New Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1916 / 52°11'29"N

Longitude: -2.2188 / 2°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 385138

OS Northings: 254840

OS Grid: SO851548

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.HV8

Mapcode Global: VH92T.H5CR

Plus Code: 9C4V5QRJ+JF

Entry Name: 49 and 50, New Street

Listing Date: 8 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488973

Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin's in the Cornmarket with St Swithun and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Worcester

Listing Text


WORCESTER

SO8554NW NEW STREET
620-1/17/460 (West side)
08/03/74 Nos.49 AND 50

GV II

2 house, now shops and offices. Numbered right to left, described
left to right. Early C18 with later additions and alterations
including mid C19 shop front. Pinkish-brown brick in Flemish bond
with flat arches of dark red gauged brick, stone copings and
sills; renewed plain tile roof and end brick stacks with
oversailing courses and pots; timber framing to internal walls.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. First floor has 6/6
flush sashes; second floor has outer 3/6 flush sashes, to centre
a blind opening painted to resemble 3/6 sash; all with flat
arches. Crowning low coped parapet. Ground floor has continuous
shop front: end entrances, that to right a 4-panel part-glazed
door with lower flush panels, 2 entrances to left have lower
flush panels and upper glazing; central glazed windows with
glazing bars and panelled aprons, pilasters between windows and
to ends, frieze and dentil cornice.
INTERIOR: both houses retain closed-string dogleg staircases with
turned bulbous bulb-on-onion balusters and moulded handrails;
both retain exposed purlins; party-wall has rectangular framing.
House to right (No.49) retains some 2-panel doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: New Street had changed its name from the
medieval Glover Street by 1523. Hughes: 'New Street, in its C16
and C17 phase, was a street of dwelling-houses with workshops
behind.'
(Hughes P: Buildings and the Building Trade in Worcester
1540-1650: PhD thesis: 1990-: 200).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.