This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4233 / 51°25'23"N
Longitude: -0.7859 / 0°47'9"W
OS Eastings: 484513
OS Northings: 170064
OS Grid: SU845700
Mapcode National: GBR D7M.L53
Mapcode Global: VHDX3.BHD7
Plus Code: 9C3XC6F7+8J
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 14 February 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390289
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489271
Location: Binfield, Bracknell Forest, RG42
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Binfield
Built-Up Area: Bracknell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Binfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU87SW POPESWOOD ROAD
674-1/11/84 (West side)
Church of St Mark
Includes: Church of St Mark ST MARKS ROAD.
Chapel of Ease, now church. 1867, by Sir Arthur Blomfield,
extended 1875; restored in 1958 by Frederick Etchells after a
fire in 1956; extended late C20.
MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond with horizontal bands of
dark bricks; tile, gabled roof.
PLAN: aisled 6-bay nave with clerestory, north transept with
organ, south transept with vestry, and extension on west end;
one bay chancel.
EXTERIOR: weathered plinth, moulded with roll mould. Lancet
windows with pointed arches of red and black bricks. The heads
of the windows in the aisles are of stone. Nave, north side:
gabled transept; 2 windows at lower level, large rose window
above. To left of transept is single-light window at high
level. 220.127.116.11.1.1 windows in aisle, 6 single-light windows in
clerestorey. South side: similar but with pent roof on right
hand side of south gabled transept, and projecting, gabled
bellcote on large wooden brackets in apex of transept.
Chancel: east end has 2-stage angle buttresses with weathered
tops, 3 tall windows, the middle one taller.
INTERIOR: patterned brick in red and black, with stone
dressings. 3-bay arcades to nave, circular columns with
moulded bases and leaf capitals. Barrel-shaped roof with
square white panels, framed in oak. Single bay chancel with
similar roof running through. C20 double wooden entrance doors
in west end within glazed wooden screen with pointed head
under brick 4-centred arch.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire:
Harmondsworth: 1966-: 87).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings