This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4768 / 53°28'36"N
Longitude: -2.2743 / 2°16'27"W
OS Eastings: 381892
OS Northings: 397816
OS Grid: SJ818978
Mapcode National: GBR DBJ.8P
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.1W90
Entry Name: Salford Lads Club
Listing Date: 22 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490528
Location: Salford, M5
Electoral Ward/Division: Ordsall
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ordsall and Salford Quays
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
949-1/0/10022 CORONATION STREET
22-AUG-03 Salford Lads Club
Sports and social club. 1904. By Henry Lord, architect, for J.G and W.G Groves, patrons. Red brick with red terracotta dressings and detailing, gable chimneys and slated roof coverings set behind shallow parapets. Eclectic Renaissance style.
PLAN: Irregular rectangular plan, forming northern end of a block of development known as the Barracks Estate between Coronation Street and King Edward Street.
EXTERIOR: West elevation of 2 and 3 storeys,5 bays with advanced triple gabled range to the left each gable with a wide semi-circular arched opening to the ground floor. First floor with 3-light mullion and transom windows to outer bays, flanking a central curved oriel with mullions and transoms. Further left, corner tower with domed cupola, pierced parapet and first floor curved oriel below an upper floor mullion and transom window. Further left, a lower canted corner bay incorporates a triple- arched entrance, the semi-circular arches carried on squat banded columns with scrolled capitals, and set on square bases. Within the arches are glazed doors below fanlights with radiating glazing bars. Above the central arch a sign reads 'SALFORD LADS CLUB'. North elevation to Coronation Street of 7 bays, the tall central 5 bay section with Dutch gables, and arched openings below first floor mullion and transom windows. Lower bay to east end leads on to a canted north-east corner bay, and a 7-bay elevation with a secondary entrance in the second bay and 5 first floor mullion and transom windows. The parapet incorporates coped gablets, that to the right-hand end truncated.
INTERIOR: The original plan survives in almost unaltered form, and consists of dedicated areas for specific sports- boxing, billiards, weight training etc, arranged around the 2 main halls- a galleried main hall to the ground floor, and a first floor concert hall. The ground floor entrance foyer gave access to junior and senior games rooms, library, kitchen, dressing rooms and showers. There were also changing rooms and fives courts at ground and first floor levels. The main hall has a clerestorey with glazed roof section above, and a triple purlin roof with arch-braced queen post trusses. It has a single end gallery, and ground floor arcades on 2 sides. The interior retains many original fixtures and fittings, including the main and secondary staircases, interior joinery, fireplaces, screens and glazed tile wall surfaces
HISTORY: The club formed part of a larger municipal development, principally housing, designed by Henry Lord. The Club was officially opened by its first member, Lord Baden Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts movement.
A purpose-built recreational and sports club for young men, opened in 1904. The building was designed to provide sporting, recreational and performance facilities, and is thought to be the most complete example of this rare form of social provision to survive in England.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings