History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Florin Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.521 / 51°31'15"N

Longitude: -0.0986 / 0°5'54"W

OS Eastings: 532018

OS Northings: 181941

OS Grid: TQ320819

Mapcode National: GBR Q8.0Y

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.71RC

Entry Name: Florin Court

Listing Date: 2 September 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390634

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490854

Location: Islington, London, EC1M

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


635-1/0/10152 CHARTERHOUSE SQUARE
02-SEP-03 6-9
Florin Court

GV II
Block of 126 flats. 1936 to the designs of Guy Morgan and Partnres. Steel-framed building, with concrete floors. Portland stone plinth, with yellow brick above, laid in Flemish bond; flat roof (sun terrace) concealed behind parapet. Ten storeys over basement. The building has a recessed centre and projecting wings with curved corners, with setbacks on the ninth and tenth floors.

Eleven window range. The runs of metal casement windows follow the curves of the building, and are grouped into bands by exposed concrete surrounds. Central entrance, with curved Portland stone dwarf flanking walls, and canopy with curved and indented profile and metal fascia, flat arched entrance to underground garage in south bay. The brick work to the first and second floors, and to the piers between windows rusticated by projection of alternate course. Stylised cartouche and ribbons in brown brick over the central first floor windows; cornice to 8th floor. Wrought iron railings to area and gates to garage entrance with decorative double curves.

Interior understood to retain simplified entrance hall with doors and signage; staircases with decorative iron balustrading.

Best known as 'Whitehaven Mansions', its exterior used as the residence of Hercule Poirot in the television adaptations of Agatha Christie's novels. It is one of three exceptional blocks by the architect Guy Morgan, who set up in private practice in 1927 having worked for Sir Edwin Lutyens but who rapidly came to design in a sophisticated moderne style.

Sources
Architect and Building News, 30 July 1937, pp.1443-6
Daily Telegraph, 30 October 1987

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


635-1/0/10152 CHARTERHOUSE SQUARE
02-SEP-03 6-9
Florin Court

GV II
Block of 126 flats. 1936 to the designs of Guy Morgan and Partnres. Steel-framed building, with concrete floors. Portland stone plinth, with yellow brick above, laid in Flemish bond; flat roof (sun terrace) concealed behind parapet. Ten storeys over basement. The building has a recessed centre and projecting wings with curved corners, with setbacks on the ninth and tenth floors.

Eleven window range. The runs of metal casement windows follow the curves of the building, and are grouped into bands by exposed concrete surrounds. Central entrance, with curved Portland stone dwarf flanking walls, and canopy with curved and indented profile and metal fascia, flat arched entrance to underground garage in south bay. The brick work to the first and second floors, and to the piers between windows rusticated by projection of alternate course. Stylised cartouche and ribbons in brown brick over the central first floor windows; cornice to 8th floor. Wrought iron railings to area and gates to garage entrance with decorative double curves.

Interior understood to retain simplified entrance hall with doors and signage; staircases with decorative iron balustrading.

Best known as 'Whitehaven Mansions', its exterior used as the residence of Hercule Poirot in the television adaptations of Agatha Christie's novels. It is one of three exceptional blocks by the architect Guy Morgan, who set up in private practice in 1927 having worked for Sir Edwin Lutyens but who rapidly came to design in a sophisticated moderne style.

Sources
Architect and Building News, 30 July 1937, pp.1443-6
Daily Telegraph, 30 October 1987

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.