This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8559 / 53°51'21"N
Longitude: -2.1714 / 2°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 388825
OS Northings: 439974
OS Grid: SD888399
Mapcode National: GBR FR8V.PJ
Mapcode Global: WHB7R.MB7V
Entry Name: St Bartholomew's Church School
Listing Date: 8 July 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492585
Location: Colne, Pendle, Lancashire, BB8
Civil Parish: Colne
Built-Up Area: Colne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Colne St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
St Bartholomew's Church School
Former school, disused at the time of the visit (April 2004), built 1844, extensions and alterations in 1894 and 1966. Cross shape in plan, two storey, built of dressed and coursed sandstone beneath a grey slate roof, with complete enclosing perimeter wall also of sandstone. C17 vernacular style.
Facade: central projecting gable with single large three light window with four-centred arch and drip moulding over, extending over two floors. Kneelers to gable ends and small bell tower with saddleback roof at the top. Entrance doors (for girls and boys) and two-light first floor window on either side. Wings to either side each have two two-light stone mullioned windows to ground and first floor, front and rear. The gable ends of the wings each have three-light stone mullioned windows to ground and first floors, and a round finial at the apex of the gable. The rear wing, originally the caretaker's house, has single large four-light stone mullioned windows to ground and first floor in the gable end, and pointed finials at the apex and on the kneelers at each end. Chimney stacks on front and rear wings near to centre. Stone flagged yard to front behind gabled double entrance through perimeter wall: wall complete, running from either side of the rear wing and enclosing the whole. Much of glazing lost, but that remaining appears original, also lost is dividing wall between girls' and boys' entrances and yards.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but much of interior believed lost in 1996 reconstruction. Some internal doors and decorated king-post roof trusses (originally open to view) remain.
HISTORY: opened in 1844 as a National School. Expanded in 1894 when the front portion was extended, a circular staircase removed, and a straight return staircase inserted with cloakrooms below. At the same time the caretaker's house to the rear was incorporated into the school, thus providing extra student accommodation. In 1966, when the school had already ceased to function as a day school, more internal alterations took place, removing the staircase and upper floor and putting in a suspended ceiling. A new kitchen was also added, and the premises used for Sunday School. The building is presently unused.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings