History in Structure

3-5, Hill Close

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnet, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5794 / 51°34'45"N

Longitude: -0.1912 / 0°11'28"W

OS Eastings: 525428

OS Northings: 188275

OS Grid: TQ254882

Mapcode National: GBR C4.4H5

Mapcode Global: VHGQK.MKRL

Plus Code: 9C3XHRH5+QG

Entry Name: 3-5, Hill Close

Listing Date: 28 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391007

English Heritage Legacy ID: 492695

ID on this website: 101391007

Location: Golders Green, Barnet, London, NW11

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in
East Finchley


31/0/10449 HILL CLOSE
28-APR-04 Hampstead Garden Suburb

Pair of houses, dated 1912, by Howard Goodchild in Voyseyesque manner. Pebbledash rendered, brown brick stacks, tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: Asymmetrical, No.3. of two storeys and two bays, with entrance to left return, No.5 two storey gable, with two storey bay set forward to left. Entrance to right return. All main elevation windows are casements in unpainted timber frames and with rectangular leaded lights. No. 3 has three and four-light ground floor windows, with four and three-light windows to first floor. Exposed rafter ends. Left return has entrance under deep canopy. Oak door of small panels with small glazed panel. Tall offset stack the upper section in exposed brick, with vertical light at base, under tile drip mould which continues to front elevation. First floor casements set against this and rear stack, with small tiled canopy between. Rear part glazed garden door from parlour, under round arch of curved tiles. Irregular arrangement of windows, with 2-light dormer and small light under the eaves. No.5 has gabled right bay, the ground floor window of five lights with small shaped head to central light, bearing date 1912 and name Gable End. Four light window to left bay set forward, a continuous drip mould running across the elevation. Upper floor of forward bay has window of three lights with narrow lights in the inner angle. Five-light first floor window to gable under drip mould, two vertical vents to apex, also above drip mould. Entrance to right return under flat canopy. Oak door with moulded muntins and small glazed panel, embellished strap hinges, and flanked by vertical 8-pane windows. Rear: first floor flat- roofed dormer window at outer angle; part glazed garden door to parlour, angled stair window, small dormer set against stack. Extended at rear at ground floor of gabled wing.
INTERIOR: No 3: Hall connected to parlour by pair of double doors. All doors of broad boards, stained, and with original ironmongery. Windows also retain ironmongery. Stair with square newels, rectangular balusters and moulded rail rises from hall. Parlour fireplace: long stained mantelpiece over flush central glazed tiled fireplace with flanking framed panels. Ceiling timbers exposed, only the principal members now stained and with boards laid diagonally. Small cupboard with fittings, under stair. Hall fireplace and first floor fireplaces blocked or removed. Glazed tile cill to stair window.
INTERIOR: No.5: formerly with hall partition of small panels, with similar sliding doors and similar doors to parlour. All joinery now stripped and varnished, and sliding doors now glazed. Red brick hall /dining room fireplace with pointed arched opening, horizontally laid tile slips. Small red brick parlour fireplace. Stair with square newels, rectangular balusters, and moulded rail. Broad, boarded doors to kitchen and upper floor, with long strap hinges. Bathroom /WC doors rearranged, but retain ironmongery. Some windows retain ironmongery.
HISTORY: A handsome pair of Arts and Crafts-influenced houses, responding well to their site and contributing to the overall interest of this part of the Suburb. Original plans of 1912 by Howard Goodchild show principal elevations and interior of No 3 to be little altered, although in both the kitchen area has been opened up. No.3 retains rear paved courtyard. Photographs of No 5 before alterations, held by Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust.
SOURCES: original drawings in London Metropolitan Archive ACC/3816/P/01/410; Millar, M. and Gray A.S., Hampstead Garden Suburb, 1992, p179; Cherry, B. and Pevsner N, Buildings of England, London 4: North, p 150.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.