History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in Braintree, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8774 / 51°52'38"N

Longitude: 0.5489 / 0°32'56"E

OS Eastings: 575551

OS Northings: 222941

OS Grid: TL755229

Mapcode National: GBR PHX.7M0

Mapcode Global: VHJJJ.G2KM

Entry Name: Fountain

Listing Date: 18 March 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 491857

Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Town: Braintree

Electoral Ward/Division: Braintree Central & Beckers Green

Built-Up Area: Braintree

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Braintree St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Braintree

Listing Text


691/0/10028 HIGH STREET
Fountain

II

Also Known As: Fountain, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD
Fountain. C. 1938. Sculpted and designed by John Hodge, cast by Messrs. Burton of Thames Ditton. Concrete circular bowl with cancave sides on the rim of which stand 4 bronze statues of seals with water issuing from their mouths. At the centre is a large bronze nautilus shell born upwards by a raft of bronze lilly pads which supports the sculpture of a nearly naked boy with legs astride holding a fish in each hand, each of which spouts water, and with an otter at his feet. To one side of the shell is an inscription: "THE GIFT OF/WILLIAM JULIAN COURTAULD ESQ.JP./OF PENYPOT HALSTEAD/ [Coat of arms]/TO THE TOWN OF BRAINTREE/IN MEMORY OF/KING GEORGE V".

The fountain forms a very distinct addition to the urban scenery at this crucial point in Braintree where several roads converge. This fountain exhibits a good deal of playfulness. It forms a group with the Church of St. Michael the Archangel [q.v.]

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


691/0/10028 HIGH STREET
Fountain

II

Also Known As: Fountain, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD
Fountain. C. 1938. Sculpted and designed by John Hodge, cast by Messrs. Burton of Thames Ditton. Concrete circular bowl with cancave sides on the rim of which stand 4 bronze statues of seals with water issuing from their mouths. At the centre is a large bronze nautilus shell born upwards by a raft of bronze lilly pads which supports the sculpture of a nearly naked boy with legs astride holding a fish in each hand, each of which spouts water, and with an otter at his feet. To one side of the shell is an inscription: "THE GIFT OF/WILLIAM JULIAN COURTAULD ESQ.JP./OF PENYPOT HALSTEAD/ [Coat of arms]/TO THE TOWN OF BRAINTREE/IN MEMORY OF/KING GEORGE V".

The fountain forms a very distinct addition to the urban scenery at this crucial point in Braintree where several roads converge. This fountain exhibits a good deal of playfulness. It forms a group with the Church of St. Michael the Archangel [q.v.]

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.