This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1937 / 53°11'37"N
Longitude: -2.871 / 2°52'15"W
OS Eastings: 341906
OS Northings: 366639
OS Grid: SJ419666
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2YYV
Mapcode Global: WH887.WZ1K
Plus Code: 9C5V54VH+FJ
Entry Name: Control Room, Boughton Water Pumping Station
Listing Date: 17 March 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495661
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ416666NE TARVIN ROAD
17-MAR-06 (North side)
Control Room, Boughton Water Pumping S
Also Known As:
Diesel engine house, Boughton Water Pumping Station, SPITAL WALK,
Former diesel engine house, now control room. 1913, with later alterations. Built for the Chester Waterworks Company. Pale yellow brick with sandstone ashlar plinth and darker brick and ashlar dressings, and slate roof. Italianate style.
PLAN: Rectangular building, sited immediately to the south of the water tower with which it was functionally associated.
EXTERIOR: Single storey; 4-window gable and 5-window side ranges. Banded ashlar plinth, brick cill and impost band, moulded eaves cornice, and coped pediment gables, round-arched arcades separated by pilaster strips. Doorways in the centre of the side with a round-arched fanlight above, and in the east gable with a moulded surround, and round-arched windows have glazing bars, with a round pane at the top; square ridge lantern has scrolled corner buttresses and a domed top. The east gable pediment contains a dated cartouche, the west gable incorporates a louvred oculus.
INTERIOR: The interior walls are finished in glazed tiling. The building retains 2 diesel engines for emergency power generation and electrical pumps, alongside added electrical control equipment. The roof is supported on tensioned metal trusses carrying 5 tiers of purlins.
HISTORY: The former diesel engine house and the associated water tower with attached engine house and boiler house forms the most prominent component of the former Tower Works, a river abstraction and water treatment works built for the Chester Waterworks Company in 1851-3. The complex was originally powered by a Cornish beam engine manufactured at Adam Woodward's Queens Foundry, Manchester. The site incorporated 3 sand filters and a brick-vaulted reservoir. The water tower was heightened from 70 to 84 feet in 1884 by jacking up the tank. In 1913, the diesel engine house was added to the complex. Other additions included a Davey horizontal steam engine, site offices and laboratory.
Forms a group with the water tower, boiler house and attached railings.(q.v.)
The former diesel engine house is of special historic and architectural interest as a key component of the former Chester Waterworks Company's Tower Works, developed in 1853 and subsequently altered and enlarged. Tower Works was innovative, ambitious and architecturally-distinguished design by a notable water supply engineer, and is well-preserved. The diesel engine house, added in 1913, sits alongside the 1853 water tower, engine and boiler house, with significant remnants of an early beam engine house and engine housing surviving alongside two C20 deisel engines and associated pumps. Ensembles such as this were at the heart of the newly-developed water supply systems of the C19, systems which significantly improved public health and enhanced the lives of millions by providing reliable supplies of clean drinking water.
Other nearby listed buildings