This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1939 / 53°11'37"N
Longitude: -2.8708 / 2°52'14"W
OS Eastings: 341918
OS Northings: 366665
OS Grid: SJ419666
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2Z03
Mapcode Global: WH887.WZ4C
Plus Code: 9C5V54VH+HM
Entry Name: Water Tower, Boiler House and Railings, Boughton Water Pumping Station
Listing Date: 17 March 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391536
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495662
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ416666NE TARVIN ROAD
17-MAR-06 (North side)
Water tower, boiler house and attached
railings, Boughton Water Pumping Stat
Also Known As:
Water tower, Boughton Water Pumping Station, SPITAL WALK, BOUGHTON
Water tower and pumping station, partly disused. 1851-53, by F L Bateman, consultant engineer to the Chester Waterworks Company. Tower raised 1884 and mid C20. English bond brick with ashlar and tooled sandstone ashlar dressings, some darker brick dressings, and slate roof coverings to pitched roofs.
PLAN: Water supply pumping ensemble, comprising circular water tower with attached beam engine house and boiler house, and truncated chimney integral to water tower. Circular plan with single-depth N boiler house. Robust Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: Water tower of 3 stages above a basement and with extensions to the upper level. Giant pilasters from a rusticated ashlar basement plinth, with base and capitals to entablature and cornice, with full-height blind, keyed, round-arched panels between; later top section has a moulded band and rectangular blind panels set alternately horizontally and vertically, beneath a C20 further extension. Flat-headed basement doorways and windows, segmental-arched ground- and first-floor windows, and blind round-arched second-floor windows, with 6 over 6-pane sashes. Roof has cast-iron ridge and eaves cornice. Single storey boiler house has double doors facing the canal to the N.
INTERIOR: The tower is divided into 6 sections by radiating walls, with a winder stair round the central chimney, to a metal roof. Beam engine house to the north contains original cast-iron entablature with egg and dart moulding, beam floor and other details.
HISTORY: The water tower with attached engine house and boiler house forms the most prominent component of the former Tower Works, a river abstraction and water treatment works built for the Chester Waterworks Company in 1851-3, powered by a Cornish beam engine manufactured at Adam Woodward's Queens Foundry, Manchester. The site incorporated 3 sand filters and a brick-vaulted reservoir. The water tower was heightened from 70 to 84 feet in 1884 by jacking up the tank. In 1913, a diesel engine house (q.v.)was added to the complex. Other additions included a Davey horizontal steam engine, site offices and laboratory.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached cast-iron railings to side dogleg stair to the north engine house.
Forms a group with the diesel pump house of 1913 (q.v.)
The complex is of special historic and architectural interest as the central pumping ensemble of the former Chester Waterworks company, completed in 1853 and subsequently altered and enlarged. It comprises water tower, engine and pump houses and boiler house including significant remnants of an early beam engine house and engine housing. As an innovative, ambitious and architecturally-distinguished design by a notable water supply engineer, uniquely combining engine house and chimney, the complex is well-preserved and retains diesel engines and pumps. Ensembles such as this were at the heart of the newly-developed water supply systems of the C19, systems which significantly improved public health and enhanced the lives of millions by providing reliable supplies of clean drinking water.
Other nearby listed buildings