This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9411 / 53°56'28"N
Longitude: -1.0894 / 1°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 459869
OS Northings: 449828
OS Grid: SE598498
Mapcode National: GBR NQTV.YZ
Mapcode Global: WHFC9.76GH
Entry Name: Liquor Factory
Listing Date: 4 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493075
Location: York, YO23
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Chad
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/0/10051 BISHOPTHORPE ROAD
Liquor store, now disused, built 1924-30 for Terry's of York by architects J G Davies and L E Wade. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings. Single storey, with raised entrances and a brick parapet concealing a concrete and asphalt flat roof. Frontage to entrance road: central double half-glazed wooden doors with overlights approached up flight of nine steps with brick walls and posts, one side demolished. Former basement windows now bricked up. Mullioned and transomed small-paned window to each side. Eaves strip in sandstone below parapet. Left return has two raised entrances up short flights of open steps, both having overlights. Additional larger entrance to ground level at left end of building. Four windows as at front, basement windows bricked up but two with sandstone lintels remaining. Further buildings added to rear, not of architectural or special interest.
Interior: viewed through windows: now an empty space.
HISTORY: Terry's of York began as a confectionary business owned by Bayldon and Berry in 1767 on a site near Bootham Bar. Joseph Terry, connected by marriage to Berry and trained as an apothecary, joined the firm, which moved in 1824 to St. Helen's Square. By 1830, Terry was the sole owner, and gradually developed the chocolate side of the business. New factory premises were built at Clementhorpe in 1862 to provide better transport links, but continued expansion led to the need for new premises which were built at Bishopthorpe Road.
SUMMARY: This building is one of a group consisting of headquarters offices, factory, clocktower, Time Office block and liquor factory, which were all built at the same time. The complex is a strong group in architectural terms, presenting a unified style which reflects the strength and importance of the corporate image of Terry's chocolate firm. The buildings also have a strong historic interest, representing the most complete surviving expression of the importance of the confectionary business in York, and confirming, on a national scale, York's high status in this business.
SOURCES: Colbeck, Maurice, 'Made in York', 1992, pp. 23-32.
'Terry's of York, 1767-1967', 1967, (Private Publication).
'C. M. W.', Journal of Jos. Rowntree, 1925 (pamphlet).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings