This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9412 / 53°56'28"N
Longitude: -1.0899 / 1°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 459841
OS Northings: 449833
OS Grid: SE598498
Mapcode National: GBR NQTV.VY
Mapcode Global: WHFC9.768G
Entry Name: Terrys of York Clock Tower, Water Tower and Boiler House with Transformer House Attached
Listing Date: 4 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492560
Location: York, YO23
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Chad
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/0/10049 BISHOPTHORPE ROAD
Terry's of York Clock Tower, Water Tow
er and Boiler house with transformer h
Clock tower, water tower and boiler house, with attached transformer house, built in 1924-30, with later additions, by J G Davies and L E Wade for Terry's of York. Red brick in English bond with sandstone dressings and parapet. Concrete and asphalt roof, metal framed windows. Tower has six stages and attached buildings have three storeys. Tower has brick angle pilasters with sunk-panel ashlar heads at the fifth stage, and large small-paned sash windows with triple keyed lintels. Top stage has ashlar quoins and a clock face on each side on which the letters TERRY YORK replace numbers. The parapet has large corner blocks with balustrades between. The boiler house and transformer house both have small-pane sashes in plain surrounds, and brick parapets above sandstone eaves bands.
Interior: ground floor only; boiler/transformer house still operational with machinery filling the ground floor.
HISTORY: Terry's of York began as a confectionary business owned by Bayldon and Berry in 1767 on a site near Bootham Bar. Joseph Terry, connected by marriage to Berry and trained as an apothecary, joined the firm which in 1824 moved to St Helen's Square. By 1830 Terry was the sole owner, and gradually developed the chocolate side of the business. New factory premises were built at Clementhorpe in 1862, to provide better transport links, but continued expansion led to the need for the new premises which were built at Bishopthorpe Road.
SUMMARY: This building is one of a group consisting of headquarters offices, factory, clocktower, Time office block and liquor factory, which were all built at the same time. The complex is a strong group in architectural terms, presenting a unified style which reflects the strength and importance of the corporate image of Terry's chocolate firm. The buildings also have a strong historic interest, representing the most complete surviving expression of the importance of the confectionary business in York, and confirming, on a national scale, York's high status in this business.
SOURCES: COLBECK, Maurice, 'Made in York', 1992, pp. 23-32.
'Terry's of York 1767-1967', 1967, (Private Publication).
'C. M. W.', Journal of Jos. Rowntree, 1925, (pamplet).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings