History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Terrys of York Time Office Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Micklegate, York

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9408 / 53°56'26"N

Longitude: -1.0878 / 1°5'16"W

OS Eastings: 459977

OS Northings: 449798

OS Grid: SE599497

Mapcode National: GBR NQVW.92

Mapcode Global: WHFC9.868Q

Entry Name: Terrys of York Time Office Block

Listing Date: 4 March 2005

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391644

English Heritage Legacy ID: 492558

Location: York, YO23

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: York St Chad

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


1112-1/0/10047 BISHOPTHORPE ROAD
04-MAR-05 York
Terry's of York Time Office block

GV II
Office and transit/recreation room, 1924-30, architects J G Davies and L E Wade for Terry's of York chocolate manufacturers. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings, two storeys, flat concrete and asphalt roof. Baroque Revival style. Facade facing entrance road and headquarters block: central single storey entrance porch with tripartite window above, flanked by quoin strips in alternating red brick and sandstone, with frieze above. Three 2-light windows to either side plus slightly projecting end blocks with tripartite windows similar to centre on both floors. End blocks are framed in ashlar pilaster strips with a frieze over. All windows and frames are C20 replacements. Ashlar faced parapet which is stepped up over centre and end blocks. Left return has one 3-light first floor window, right return has two 3-light windows to each floor. Rear has similar fenestration to front, with end blocks defined by quoin strips of alternating brick and ashlar, a door replacing one of the windows to the right of the end block and a central door framed by windows and an overlight.
Interior: the interior is now largely empty and the building is unused. Spiral iron staircase leads to first floor.
The building originally had two archways leading through it from front to back, through which delivery vehicles would pass. The brick infill can be clearly seen at the rear of the building, showing that the ground floor windows in the ranges to either side of the centre block are later additions. This building was also where employees clocked in, hence its name of the Time Office Block.
The building is included for group value.
HISTORY: Terry's of York began as a confectionary business owned by Bayldon and Berry in 1767 on a site near Bootham Bar in York. Joseph Terry, connected by marriage to Bery and trained as an apothecary, joined the firm, which moved to St Helen's Square in 1824. By 1830, Terry was the sole owner, and gradually developed the chocolate side of the business. New factory premises were built at Clementhorpe in 1862 to provide better transport links, but continued expansion led to a need for new premises which were built at Bishopthorpe Road.
SUMMARY: This building is one of a group consisting of headquarters offices, factory, clocktower, Time office block and liquor factory, which were all built at the same time. The complex is a strong group in architectural terms, presenting a unified style which reflects the strength and importance of the corporate image of Terry's chocolate firm. The buildings also have a strong historic interest, representing the most complete surviving expression of the importance of the confectionary business in York, and confirming, on a national scale, York's high status in this business.
SOURCES: Colbeck, Maurice, 'Made in York', 1992, pp. 23-32.
'Terry's of York, 1767-1967, 1967, (Private Publication).
'C. M. W.', Journal of Jos. Rowntree, 1925 (pamphlet).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.