This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5341 / 51°32'2"N
Longitude: 0.0063 / 0°0'22"E
OS Eastings: 539252
OS Northings: 183593
OS Grid: TQ392835
Mapcode National: GBR LS.07X
Mapcode Global: VHHNB.2P5V
Entry Name: The Ironmongers' Stone in Leather Gardens to the East of Abbey Road
Listing Date: 2 March 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 502775
Location: Newham, London, E15
Electoral Ward/Division: West Ham
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Ham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
251/0/10077 ABBEY ROAD
02-MAR-07 The Ironmongers' Stone in Leather Gard
ens to the East of Abbey Road
Boundary stone C18. White stone resembling Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: The stone is approximately 350mm square and 920mm high with a shallow pyramidal top. The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers' coat of arms is inscribed to the top of one side, and weathered inscription on the opposing side reads 'Th..m.... the extent of the Ironmongers Company Ground'.
HISTORY: The ground on which the stone stands was once called Barrowfield, an ancient plot associated with Stratford Langthorne Abbey (which lies to the west). In 1720 the land was purchased by Sir Gregory Page, Baronet of Greenwich and five years later he donated the southern end for the construction of a parish workhouse and market garden where the poor could work. The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers bought the land in c.1730, from part of the money left by one of its members, Thomas Betton, a wealthy merchant venturer. It is assumed that the stone, which bears the company's coat of arms, was erected to mark the extent of the site at about that time. The stone is within the original site, but may not be in its exact location.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The special interest of the Ironmongers' stone relates to its survival within an area of land since the C18, which was subsequently leased to industrial companies that had a role in the development of London. Boundary stones are essentially ephemeral additions to a landscape, and in this case the stone still denotes the historical ownership of land which lasted over 200 years through its elaborate carving and inscription of the company's arms. For these reasons the Ironmongers' stone should be recognised for its distinctive form and composition, together with its historical connections and longevity of survival within the original site.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings