This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5331 / 51°31'59"N
Longitude: 0.0058 / 0°0'20"E
OS Eastings: 539223
OS Northings: 183486
OS Grid: TQ392834
Mapcode National: GBR LS.04Z
Mapcode Global: VHHNB.1QYK
Entry Name: Crockett's Leathercloth Works War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 November 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430693
Location: Newham, London, E15
Electoral Ward/Division: West Ham
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Ham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.
In its original position in the Leathercloth Works, this large memorial was raised on two steps and a pavement, and included round stone balls at each corner of the pavement. In its new position on Abbey Road it stands on a Portland stone pavement but without the steps and balls.
The memorial comprises a rectangular Portland stone pylon with an outsailing cornice, on a moulded base. The cornice bears a two-stepped base carrying a carved lion couchant, looking out to the north-west. Clasping buttress at each corner of the pylon display dates, carved at the top (1914 1919) and bottom (1939 1945) of the north-east and south-west faces.
The north-east and south-west faces of the pylon each bear a large rectangular panel, slightly raised and suspended from swags with fasces carved in relief. The principal dedication on the south-west face reads IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR FREEDOM 1914 – 1919/ (16 NAMES). On the north-east face the later dedication reads IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ SERVICE AND CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ 1939 – 1945 (10 NAMES).
On the south-west face of the base, a badly eroded inscription reads THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY/ THE DIRECTORS OF THE LEATHER CLOTH COMPANY LTD/ IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL FIGHTING 1914-1919.
The memorial is placed between two large, raised, flowerbeds with three trees in low walled planters behind. These brick-built flowerbeds and planters are not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
The Crockett International Leather Cloth Company, operating from Newark, New Jersey (USA) and West Ham, London (England), manufactured artificial leather and other textiles at its factory on Abbey Road from 1855. As The Leather Cloth Co Ltd, it continued to produce cloth until the works were shut down in 1961. In common with other businesses, following the First World War the firm raised a memorial to commemorate those staff that died during the conflict. This stood within the factory premises, c100m to the north of its present position, on a triangle of lawn enclosed by railings. Alongside 15 members of staff, the memorial also names Comte Robert de Lesseps (d1916), a pioneer aviator and cavalryman whose connection with the company is unclear.
Following the Second World War, the names of 10 members of staff who died during that conflict were added to the memorial. These include four civilians, two of whom are women, who died as a result of enemy action. When the factory closed and was demolished the memorial was moved to its current position, at what had been the southernmost part of the premises.
Crockett’s Leathercloth Works War Memorial, situated on Abbey Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the staff of the company, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a substantial and imposing Classical monument including a well-sculpted lion.
Other nearby listed buildings