This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2457 / 52°14'44"N
Longitude: 0.4126 / 0°24'45"E
OS Eastings: 564806
OS Northings: 263578
OS Grid: TL648635
Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.349
Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.3TG9
Plus Code: 9F426CW7+72
Entry Name: Osborne House, with Attached Railings, and Osborne House Stables Including Osborne Cottage
Listing Date: 30 October 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 501771
Location: Newmarket, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Newmarket
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
177-1/0/10001 MOULTON ROAD
30-OCT-06 (East side)
Osborne House, with attached railings,
and Osborne House Stables including O
Trainer's house and stables. Now staff accommodation and stables for Heath House Stables (q.v.). c.1850, for John Osborne, incorporating a C18 range shown on Chapman's map of 1787.
MATERIALS: gault brick with slate roofs and some red brick with pantile roofs. Ornamental ridge and side stacks. Simplified classical style.
PLAN: house at north-east of site then stables round an irregular yard to south-west with staff house (Osborne Cottage), now for stable girls, in the middle along the western side.
EXTERIOR: of house. 3 storeys with moulded storey bands. L plan to Moulton Road with the left wing hipped roof and the right wing gabled. On each end a canted bay with 2/2 sashes and a 3/3 sash on each floor above. Projection in re-entrant angle with further 2/2 sashes and door. The rear facade is a 3-window range of 3/3 sashes to 1st and 2nd floors with 2/2 sashes either side a wider tripartite sash to ground floor. Each tier of windows is linked through the storeys with a slightly raised brick frame.
INTERIOR: retains original staircases, doors, etc..
Around the front garden a set of cast-iron railings with elaborate finials.
EXTERIOR: of stables and staff house. The facade to the yard is plainer and there is a linking C18 single-storey range in red brick with caged loose boxes and sash windows which is part of the range which appears on the Chapman map. Next is the staff house. 2 storeys and attic, with decorative storey and eaves bands. It is a 2-window range of 1/1 sashes with similar sashes over in gabled dormers. On ground floor a large projecting sashed bay under a pentice roof. Door to left. From the right side extends a 2-storey range of loose boxes with windows and doors over and in part a third storey with gabled roof facing. The yard ends in a single-storey range of loose boxes.
HISTORY. The earlier yard on the site appears to have been taken over and much rebuilt by John Osborne, a trainer from Middleham in Yorkshire. His daughter, Eleanor (Nellie), married Tom Chaloner, her father's head jockey, and, after both their deaths, she herself trained in the yard. She was probably the first woman trainer and was followed in the profession by her sons.
J.Chapman, Map of Newmarket, 1787.
Forest Heath District Council: Newmarket Horse Racing Training Yards: 1992. R.Onslow: History of Heath House: unpubld: 1993.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings