History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of Emily Adney Bond, Brompton Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Redcliffe, Kensington and Chelsea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.488 / 51°29'16"N

Longitude: -0.1929 / 0°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 525562

OS Northings: 178112

OS Grid: TQ255781

Mapcode National: GBR 0N.WR

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.LVWN

Plus Code: 9C3XFRQ4+6R

Entry Name: Tomb of Emily Adney Bond, Brompton Cemetery

Listing Date: 21 December 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1403347

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5

County: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Redcliffe

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Luke, South Kensington

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Summary


Tomb of Emily Adney Bond, c.1843

Description

MATERIAL: Portland stone

The tomb comprises a tall draped stone sarcophagus resting on short pedestals at the ends, on a moulded slab base. The drapery has a shallow inset panel which originally bore the inscription, but this has completely worn away.

History

Brompton Cemetery was one of the 'magnificent seven' privately-run burial grounds established in the 1830s and 1840s to relieve pressure on London's overcrowded churchyards. It was laid out in 1839-1844 to designs by the architect Benjamin B Baud, who devised a classical landscape of axial drives and vistas with rond-points at the intersections marked by mausolea or ornamental planting, the latter devised by Isaac Finnemore with advice from J C Loudon. The main Ceremonial Way culminates in a dramatic architectural ensemble recalling Bernini's piazza in front of St Peter's in Rome, with flanking colonnades curving outwards to form a Great Circle, closed at its southern end in a domed Anglican chapel (the planned Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were omitted for financial reasons). The cemetery, never a commercial success, was compulsorily purchased by the General Board of Health in the early 1850s, and has remained in state ownership ever since.

Reasons for Listing

* Design interest: an unusual mid-C19 tomb, one of the earliest in the cemetery, in the form of a draped sarcophagus
* Craftsmanship: high-quality carving of drapery
* Group value: with other listed tombs in the Grade I-registered Brompton Cemetery.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.