This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8376 / 50°50'15"N
Longitude: -0.7719 / 0°46'18"W
OS Eastings: 486573
OS Northings: 104946
OS Grid: SU865049
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.HMV
Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.H3N
Entry Name: Chichester War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 November 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1429864
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Built-Up Area: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chichester St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
War memorial by the architectural practice of Unsworth & Triggs, unveiled 1921. Additional details added after the Second World War, and moved from Eastgate Square to Litten Gardens in 1940.
MATERIALS: Portland stone, slate
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is in the southern section of Litten Gardens and stands at the termination of a path. It is on a circular mound, and surrounded by a curvilinear limestone dwarf wall intersected by four stepped access paths.
The base of the memorial is octagonal in form and consists of two steps separated by a concave moulding. In turn vertical plaques form a 16-sided base with a dentil cornice, which supports the central shaft. Four buttress piers extending from the base are surmounted by pyramidal, crocketted finials.
The central shaft is octagonal and surmounted by an elaborately carved wheel-head cross. This is supported by four right angled carved brackets that frame the cross. The terminals of the cross are enriched with carved foliage, and the centre of the cross displays a rose motif.
A central south facing plaque, situated between Roll of Honour plaques, carries the carved inscription IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF/ CHICHESTER/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-19/ 1939-1945. The plaque also shows a carved relief of the Chichester coat of arms.
The 16 First World War Roll of Honour plaques are inscribed with the names of the 353 who fell. They are listed by military organisation and record the 60 different units in which they served.
At the base of the monument four Second World War plaques lie horizontally on the ground facing north, east, south, and west. They are inscribed with the names of the 255 men who fell in this subsequent conflict.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016
This List entry has been amended to add sources for further reading (05/12/2016)
The war memorial, in remembrance of those from the Chichester area who fell in the First World War, was unveiled by Field Marshal Sir William R Robertson Bart GCB GCMG KCVO DSO in July 1921. Robertson Bart was at the time the most senior officer in the British Army having uniquely served in every rank from Private to Field Marshal.
The memorial was designed by the distinguished local architectural practice of Unsworth & Triggs of Petersfield which was also responsible for the design of a number of buildings in the south of England, including war memorials such as Petersfield Memorial (1922), Woking War Memorial (1920), and Steep War Memorial (1918), all Grade II-listed.
The memorial was made by the mason E F Perriman of Petersfield, and was originally erected in Eastgate Square, Chichester. Due to road layout changes it was moved a short distance to the current site in The Litten in 1940 where crazy paving extends beyond the dwarf wall surrounding the monument and forms the main access path, which in turn is bordered by grass falling away to park flower beds.
The names of the First World War fallen are carved into 16 vertical tablets forming the base of the monument. After the Second World War four more horizontal stone tablets were added at the base of the monument recording the fallen of this subsequent conflict.
Chichester War Memorial, 1921, designed by the architects Unsworth & Triggs, moved to its current position in 1940, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the ultimate sacrifice made by so many from the Chichester area in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a large intricate memorial displaying high quality carving of motifs and detailing, by notable local architects Unsworth & Triggs.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings