History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Shropshire Union canal bridge 400m north of Upton Forge

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton Magna, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7016 / 52°42'5"N

Longitude: -2.6578 / 2°39'28"W

OS Eastings: 355643

OS Northings: 311753

OS Grid: SJ556117

Mapcode National: GBR BN.2VRR

Mapcode Global: WH9D0.4CM6

Entry Name: Former Shropshire Union canal bridge 400m north of Upton Forge

Listing Date: 28 April 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1438488

Location: Upton Magna, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Upton Magna

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Upton Magna St Lucia

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Walcot

Listing Text

Canal bridge. C18. The bridge is constructed of red and plum coloured brick laid in a mixed bond. There are grey sandstone quoins at the impost and a sandstone coping stone at the centre of the parapet as well as tooled sandstone caps to the piers.

DESCRIPTION: The bridge has a wide, shallow, elliptical arch spanning the canal with moulded brick voussoirs and no keystone. The outer faces of the bridge have two chamfered brick string courses, the lowest abutting the centre voussoirs and continuing into offsets on the square end piers. The inner faces of the parapets have a similar stringcourse just above the road level which also continue into the lower pier offsets. The bridge faces are slightly battered and form a concave curve. A tow path beneath the bridge has dressed sandstone blocks to the former canal side.

HISTORY: The Shrewsbury branch of the Shropshire Union Canal was begun in 1793. It was planned by Engineer Josiah Clowes under the direction of William Reynolds who was later replaced after his death in 1795 by Thomas Telford. The canal was opened in 1797. Formerly the bridge carried the Upton Magna to Wroxeter road across the canal.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.