History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stourport on Severn war memorials

A Grade II Listed Building in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3407 / 52°20'26"N

Longitude: -2.2772 / 2°16'37"W

OS Eastings: 381209

OS Northings: 271444

OS Grid: SO812714

Mapcode National: GBR 0C0.72C

Mapcode Global: VH920.GFZF

Plus Code: 9C4V8PRF+74

Entry Name: Stourport on Severn war memorials

Listing Date: 29 November 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1459050

Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Stourport-on-Severn

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Summary


A First World War memorial, designed by The Bromsgrove Guild, erected in 1922; sundial added as Second World War memorial in 1954.

Description

A First World War memorial, designed by The Bromsgrove Guild, erected in 1922; sundial added as Second World War memorial in 1954.

MATERIALS:
First World War Memorial: Portland stone and red brick.
Second World War Memorial: York stone.

DESCRIPTION: The First World War memorial takes the form of a series of stone tablets set into recessed panels in a red brick wall, the whole about 1.8m high and 2.9m wide. The upper tablet is inscribed TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD. Below, a shallower tablet reads 1914 – 1918. The larger part of the wall is taken up with the roll of honour, with the names of the 113 men of the community who lost their lives incised into stone tablets in five columns, below a relief-carved urn within a wreath, with ribbons. The memorial is approached by three shallow, paved steps.

The Second World War memorial, which stands a short distance to the south-east of the First World War memorial within a unifying paved feature, is a plain, square-section plinth with moulded cap and foot, set on two octagonal steps. The gnomon to the surmounting sundial is lost. The inscriptions are picked out in black lettering TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE OF/ STOURPORT ON SEVERN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ DURING WORLD WAR/ 1939 - 1945/ The names of the 34 men who died are inscribed on the sides of the plinth. The additional inscription reads 1982/ FALKLANDS CAMPAIGN/ with the name of the serviceman who was killed in that conflict.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Stourport on Severn, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the men of the community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial, which was designed by members of the Bromsgrove Guild, was unveiled on 9 April 1922, in a ceremony attended by Admiral Cuming, DSO, CBE (1852-1940), a retired Admiral who was temporarily recommissioned as a Captain in the Royal Naval Reserve during the First World War.

After the Second World War, a new element was added to the memorial: a sundial on a stone pedestal, on which were inscribed the names of those who lost their lives in that conflict. It was unveiled on 5 September 1954. The gnomon was stolen from the dial in the 1950s and has not been replaced. A further name was added in 1982 to commemorate the loss of a local man in the Falklands Conflict.

Reasons for Listing

Stourport on Severn war memorials, of 1922 and 1954, are listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for their design, a well-executed brick and stone memorial by the Bromsgrove Guild, with a sundial on a pedestal added to commemorate those lost in the Second World War.

Group value:

* as two complementary war memorials forming a single ensemble, set deliberately together within the memorial gardens.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.