This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1565 / 52°9'23"N
Longitude: -2.688 / 2°41'16"W
OS Eastings: 353031
OS Northings: 251140
OS Grid: SO530511
Mapcode National: GBR FM.67VT
Mapcode Global: VH859.C2B4
Plus Code: 9C4V5846+JR
Entry Name: Bodenham War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 June 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1462186
Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bodenham
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
A war memorial of 1921 date constructed of stone.
A war memorial of 1921 date.
MATERIALS: constructed of stone.
DESCRIPTION: comprising a plain Latin cross on a slender tapering octagonal shaft with a small square plinth and four-stepped base. The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering reads: THIS CROSS IS DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ BODENHAM WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR US IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914–1919./ “LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT THEIR NAMES/ BE NOT FORGOTTEN”. The names of the 24 parishioners who died in the First World War are inscribed on the other three faces of the plinth.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Bodenham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled by Major General Sir Elliott Wood and dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford on 19 March 1921. The memorial stands in a prominent roadside location, close to the remains of a medieval Market Cross (listed at Grade II).
Bodenham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* it is a well detailed war memorial in the form of a Latin cross.
* it has group value with the remains of a medieval Market Cross (Grade II) and other listed buildings in this part of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings