This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0383 / 56°2'17"N
Longitude: -3.5008 / 3°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 306591
OS Northings: 683843
OS Grid: NT065838
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RKH9
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.6H69
Entry Name: Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School
Listing Date: 29 January 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330384
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB172
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
1768. 2-storey; 5-bay rectangular-plan former Broomhall Estate school. Sandstone rubble; slaister harling; harled at rear; ashlar surrounds to some windows.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6 tall ground floor windows (1 blocked); 5 1st floor windows; 3 to right centred above ground floor windows.
N ELEVATION: 1st floor door.
E ELEVATION: 4 ground floor windows; alternating tall windows. Lean-to porch to far right; small window; door in left return. 4 squat 1st floor windows centred above ground floor windows; larger 5th window to right.
S ELEVATION: modern lean-to porch with steps. Central 1st floor window.
Predominantly tall ground floor windows and squat 1st floor windows. 12-pane timber sash and case windows; horizontal glazing to tall ground floor windows. 8-pane timber sash and case bipartite upper storey windows. Piended slate roof; tall, rendered and coped wallhead stack to left of principal elevation; 3 to rear.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin who exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 and was complimented by associated structures such as the old granary, school and The Queen's Hall. The school was run by the estate and funded by the deductions taken from the men's wages. It closed in 1968 due to shortage of pupils. The school is to be used to accommodate visitors attending Scottish Lime Centre courses.
Other nearby listed buildings