This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0473 / 56°2'50"N
Longitude: -2.7953 / 2°47'42"W
OS Eastings: 350558
OS Northings: 684114
OS Grid: NT505841
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.R1XJ
Mapcode Global: WH7TK.186C
Plus Code: 9C8V26W3+WV
Entry Name: Archerfield
Listing Name: Archerfield with Pavilion Wings
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332200
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1536
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
Tagged with: Country house
Classical mansion with complex building chronology
currently (1988) unoccupied and partially gutted; recently
serving as grain store.
Late 17th century, 3-storey classical house on U-plan,
enlarged by addition, circa 1730, of substantial W wing
enclosing the plan. The different dates can be noted by
the differing eaves cornices and masonry; the N and S 3-bay
wings of the original house, ran between stacks to E and
W. In 1790 the canted gable projecting wing was
added to the centre of the E range of the earlier house.
Circa 1800, 2 2-storey, single room additions were placed
in the re-entrant angles formed by the canted projection;
the W wing was extended to N and S by 2-storey single
bay extensions. Random red rubble with ashlar margins
to the earlier house; red ashlar frontage to W wing with
grey ashlar dressings and centre bay.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical circa 1730 Baroque frontage.
Wide canted bay. Doorpiece removed and doorway
enlarged. Raised quoins to centre bay, outer angles and
Gibbsian surrounds to ground floor. Centrepiece with
fluted Ionic pilasters to aedicule window above doorway,
with segmental pediment; consoled cill to 2nd floor
window, flanked by decorative scroll carving and with
richly carved armorial apron; concave oculi with moulded
surrounds above 1st floor windows in splayed bays; blind
arched heads with Keystones to 2nd floor windows, rise
into die parapet. Decorative wrought-iron balcony remaining
on the 1st floor splay to right by Thomas Chalmers. 3 bays to
to each side; pedimented and central segmental 1st floor
windows. Consoled urns abd blank aprons. Blank slightly
recessed 2-storey outer bays (circa 1800).
E ELEVATION: tall 1st floor windows and shallow bracketted
balcony to canted E projection (1790) with eaves cornice
and parapet. Flanking extensions (circa 1800) with
ground and 1st floor windows. Shallow gables with apex
stacks behind, formerly closing to E wing of earlier house.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: almost mirrored elevations. 3
recessed bays to earlier house at centre. 3 piend roofed
dormers at S. Segmentally arched fanlight above door
and window bay off-centre to left of N elevation.
Tripartite windows to 1st floors of advanced 2-storey
outer bays (circa (1800) with 2 ground floor lights to N
Originally small pane glazing to sash and case windows,
some retained in ruinous state. Moulded coping to broad
ashlar stacks. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: Robert Adam interior work taken out and sold in
mid 1950s. Marble chimneypiece retained in ruinous
state; cantilevered stair remaining. Panelled room with
early stone chimneypiece still intact. Adam cornices
partially retained below remains of coved ceiling brackets.
Segmentally arched openings in N and S extensions to 1st
floor of W wing 2 interesting ceilings with clay tiled
construction revealed with timber strips and metal
strapping possibly a variant of Lord Stanhope's method
of fire proof construction.
PAVILION WINGS: sited to NW and SW of house, originally
linked by coped quadrant walls, since removed U-plan
court before house, 3 less widely spaced bays to W.
Random red rubble with raised margins and quoins to
main ground floor openings. Smaller 1st floor lights
under eaves. U-plans opening to outer direction with 2
segmentally arched fanlights above doorways at centre of N
pavilion; piend roofed outbuildings inserted in S pavilion
court. Broad ashlar stacks set at inner angles. Small pane
glazing to sash and case window originally. Slate piend roof
retained on S pavilion.
Later 2-storey farm buildings sited to NW of N pavilion not
included. Square plan piend roofed game larder with ridge
ventilator in grounds to NW Circa 1730 work commissioned by
William Nisbet of Dirleton, whose family continued to own
the house to commission the Adam work. Robert Adam made
drawings for 4 ceilings, and plans for Dining Room, Drawing
Room, Library, Rotunda, Saloon, staircase and balustrade.
Adam added a porch to W entrance, replaced in Victorian years
by pedimented Baroque doorpiece. Plasterwork ornament by
Mr Coney. Grounds around the house formerly landscaped,
currently used as farm lands. 2 gate lodges listed
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings