This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6545 / 57°39'16"N
Longitude: -2.52 / 2°31'12"W
OS Eastings: 369065
OS Northings: 862848
OS Grid: NJ690628
Mapcode National: GBR N84H.88P
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.8V7W
Plus Code: 9C9VMF3H+QX
Entry Name: Fishing Temple, River Deveron, Duff House
Listing Name: Duff House, Fishing Temple
Listing Date: 4 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333858
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2885
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
William Adam, circa 1741. 2-stage, round fishing temple, on island in River Deveron to E of Duff House, currently roofless and overgrown (1990). Polished ashlar with raised and moulded architraves, lugged door surrounds, base course, band course, moulded cornice. Horseshoe stair with moulded treads and simple wrought-iron balustrade, to doorway of principal upper stage, in advanced pedimented bay; doorway below at ground under steps. Further advanced pedimented bay opposite blank. 4 tall windows to principal stage, smaller windows below.
2 basket-arched fireplaces inside, that to upper stage with finely
roll-moulded arrises. Moulded, corniced ashlar stack, with clasping vase-shaped flues.
The Fishing Temple, domed and surmounted by a gilded figure of Fame, is illustrated in the above portrait of Lady Braco by Mosman. William Adam's Accounts to Lord Braco (in evidence for the Braco case) refer to plans for this Temple, built on an island in the River Deveron, as well as the Temple on Doun Hill (listed separately in Macduff Burgh), and
designs for a Mausoleum (which was not built, but may be the structure illustrated in a portrait of William Duff, Lord Braco by William Mosman in 1741; see Holloway). Tait has sited this temple incorrectly on the Hill of Bauchlaw to the SW of Duff House, and suggests that it was designed by William Bowie; the above evidence suggests otherwise. The plans quoted, thought to be by Bowie, SRO RHP31, 394, are therefore probably not for the Duff House Estate, as catalogued. Upgraded from category B to A on 30.3.2004.
Other nearby listed buildings