This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8456 / 55°50'44"N
Longitude: -2.2369 / 2°14'12"W
OS Eastings: 385265
OS Northings: 661403
OS Grid: NT852614
Mapcode National: GBR D0TV.JB
Mapcode Global: WH9Y1.MB1J
Plus Code: 9C7VRQW7+67
Entry Name: Sunnyside
Listing Name: Sunnyside Farmhouse, Near Auchencrow, Including Garden Walls
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335323
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4106
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1774; rear wing dated 1848; further additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay originally rectangular-plan house with 2-storey wing at rear forming near T-plan; later single storey addition to front. Predominantly harl-pointed rubble (harled W elevation; harled front addition); cream sandstone dressings Mutuled eaves to principal block; droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; ashlar margins (painted in part); predominantly projecting cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: part-glazed boarded timber door centred at ground; architraved and corniced surround. Later enlarged bipartite window at ground in bay to right; out-of-character 3-light window in single storey, flat-roofed projection to left; single windows in all bays at 1st floor.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to left with single window at ground to right; blocked opening at ground to left; single window at 1st floor to left; small attic light centred in apex. Later 4-bay range recessed to right with single window at ground to outer left; single windows at both floors in subsequent bay to right (lower lintel dated '1848'); boarded timber door at ground off-set to right of centre; single windows at both floors to outer right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right with single window at ground to left. Later range recessed to left with single window at ground to right; single windows at both floors in subsequent bay to left; lean-to addition off-set to left of centre.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews; scrolled with decorative rope-moulding skewputts (missing at front to left). Corniced, brick-built ridge and apex stacks; various octagonal and circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GARDEN WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a modern built dwelling house...occupied by the proprietor, William Hood Esq." Harl removed 1998. An early farmhouse which, despite its imbalancing and non-traditional front addition, retains significant interest. The scrolled skewputts are of particular note as they indicate the original structure dates from before 1800 - confirmed by the dated stone to the right of the entrance, inscribed '1774'.