This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3955 / 56°23'43"N
Longitude: -4.295 / 4°17'42"W
OS Eastings: 258439
OS Northings: 724945
OS Grid: NN584249
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.1129
Mapcode Global: WH3LK.0H1Z
Plus Code: 9C8Q9PW3+5X
Entry Name: Ogle Burn Bridge, Glen Ogle
Listing Name: Glen Ogle, Bridge on A85 over Ogle Burn Near Glen Ogle Farm
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335363
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4134
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1798. Single round-arched bridge, set relatively low to the water. Arch set between slightly battered abutments; string course at base of parapet. The ends of the parapet curve down to the ground. A good and unaltered example of a late 18th century road bridge, built as part of the improvements to the Military Road from Stirling to Fort William and therefore of considerable historical importance.
Materials: squared, coursed masonry.
One of five similar bridges on the A85 through Glen Ogle. This bridge is the first after Lochearnhead, and is located just North of Glen Ogle Farm.
The road through Glen Ogle was built as a part of a military road from Stirling to Fort William by General Caulfield in 1750-52, although Glen Ogle was almost certainly a drove route prior to then. The road through Glen Ogle seems to have been constructed hastily along the bottom of the valley, crossing the Ogle Burn several times (see General Roy's map of c.1750), and was never considered to be very satisfactory as it is too low and boggy in places. At some point in the late 18th or early 19th century, the line of the road was re-drawn to the present position. This bridge and 4 other similar ones were constructed as part of this scheme. The Old Statistical Account mentions that a new line for the Stirling to Fort William Road was approved in 1793 and this probably (but not certainly) refers to the Glen Ogle Section. The sixth report of the Highland Roads and Bridges (1798) also mentions proposals for work on this stretch of road, so work may have been delayed until then.
The old military road still survives (in parts), and is used as a footpath. Four 18th century rubble-built bridges on this road survive and are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings